Male Breast Reduction / Gynecomastia Correction
The male chest is one that defines a fit, firm and masculine appearance. For some men, the excess male breast tissue can be an embarrassing and difficult condition to accept. Hiding behind baggy shirts is not a lifetime solution. Dr. Bengtson understands how men feel about their bodies, and the special concerns they have for approaching surgical solutions. Whether through liposuction alone or with additional techniques, we can help you achieve a masculine, firm, fit chest and restore confidence in your body-image.
Details & FAQ
What is a male breast reduction?
Male breast reduction reduces excess male breast tissue, a condition called gynecomasia, along with excessive fat for a firmer, flatter, more masculine and defined chest.
Why might a male breast reduction be recommended for me?
Reducing unwanted fat or the excess glandular tissue that contribute to gynecomastia often cannot be attained through weight loss and exercise alone. Treatment of gynecomastia can help men reshape the male chest and dramatically improve the shape and proportion of your body, enhancing your appearance and your self-esteem.
Who is a candidate for male breast reductions?
Men of various ages and from many circumstances choose to correct gynecomastia conditions. These factors generally define good candidates for gynecomastia procedures:
- You can clearly define why you want the surgery
- You understand what gynecomastia can and cannot accomplish
- You accept the potential risks of gynecomastia and your responsibilities as a patient
- You are healthy, emotionally secure and you’re stable
- You accept that you will need to make healthy lifestyle choices to maintain the results achieved by gynecomastia
- You have realistic expectations and are willing to accept minor asymmetries
What should I know about male breast reductions?
- Male breast reduction is performed on an out-patient basis
- Scars are a normal outcome of surgery and can be concealed around the aerola (dark skin surrounding the nipple) or in the natural breast mammary crease. The location and pattern of your incisions and the resulting scars will be discussed during your consultation
- Male breast reduction is most commonly performed under general anesthesia
- Recovery ranges from 1-2 weeks, but you will be back to light normal daily activity the day after your procedure
- Results are long-lasting, but weight loss/gain can change your results and normal aging and gravity may affect your outcomes
- You will need a capable adult with you for 24 hours after your release from the surgery center
- Afterward, you will return to your home or, for our out-of-town guests, to one of the designated hotels conveniently located a short distance from our office
- All surgeries carry the potential for risks which will be fully discussed with you during your consultation