Notice: Undefined index: ecpt_cssclass in /home/bengtsoncenter/public_html/wp-content/mu-plugins/bengtson_functions.php on line 262
Notice: Undefined index: ecpt_cssid in /home/bengtsoncenter/public_html/wp-content/mu-plugins/bengtson_functions.php on line 266
Breast Reconstruction/Restoration Mammaplasty
Breasts that are lost or disfigured after surgery to treat cancer, disease, or as the result of genetic anomalies, can be restored to a more natural appearance. Highly specialized techniques that use your own tissue, tissue expansion, a breast implant or a combination of techniques may be used to help a woman to feel whole again. Breast reconstruction is a process, not a single procedure that begins by defining a plan that is individualized to your specific goals and your body.
Details & FAQ
What is breast reconstruction?
Breast reconstruction restores a breast partially or completely removed as the result of breast cancer treatment, or for an absent or disfigured breast resulting from genetic factors or trauma. Techniques to create or reconstruct the breast include the use of breast implants, autologous reconstruction which uses a woman’s own skin, fat and/or muscle, or a combination of techniques.
Why would breast reconstruction be recommended for me?
Breasts surgically removed or disfigured after surgery to treat disease, or as the result of genetic anomalies, may be restored back to a more natural appearance.
Who is a candidate for breast reconstruction?
Women of various ages and from many circumstances choose breast reconstruction surgery. These factors generally define good candidates for breast implant procedures:
- You can clearly define why you want the surgery
- You understand what breast reconstruction surgery can and cannot accomplish
- You accept the potential risks of breast surgery and your responsibilities as a patient
- You are generally healthy, emotionally secure and you’re stable
- You accept that you will need to make healthy lifestyle choices to maintain the results achieved by breast surgery
- Your treating physician for breast cancer confers with Dr. Bengtson that breast reconstruction will not interfere with the treatment of your breast cancer
- You have realistic expectations and are willing to accept minor asymmetries
What should I know about breast reconstruction?
- Breast reconstruction is generally performed on an in-patient basis
- The incision pattern for your surgery will be discussed with you during your consultation. Scars are a normal outcome of surgery. The location and pattern of your incisions and the resulting scars will be discussed during your consultation
- Breast reconstruction is performed under general anesthesia
- Recovery ranges from several days to several weeks depending on the technique used in your reconstruction
- You will need a capable adult with you for 24 hours after your release from the hospital or recovery center
- Afterward, you will return to your home or, for our out-of-town guests, to one of the designated hotels conveniently located a short distance from our office
- Results are permanent, but weight loss/gain or pregnancy can change your results and normal aging and gravity may affect your outcomes
- All surgeries carry the potential for risks which will be fully discussed with you during your consultation
Research and Innovation
Dr. Brad Bengtson is recognized as one of the leading clinical investigators in the United States with the Natrelle 410 Silicone “Gummy Bear” gel implant. To learn if you are a good candidate for the 410 Silicone “Gummy Bear” style implant call our office. In general you need to meet these criteria:
- Be a female 18 years of age or older
- Have a condition appropriate for breast augmentation, reconstruction, or revision
- Have adequate tissue available to cover the implant(s)
- Be willing to sign the Informed Consent document which gives you information about your breast implants and confirms your commitment to follow study requirements and acceptance of the potential risks involved
Dr. Bengtson has nationally supported research looking into the high resolution ultrasound and gel breast implants
Dr. Bengtson has many studies looking into 3D photography and simulation of your before and after results
Dr. Bengtson is one of the global leaders of Acellular Dermal Matrix such as Alloderm and Strattice for breast reconstruction secondary revisional surgery