Breast Reduction for Birmingham and Grand Rapids
If you have uncomfortably large breasts, you know what a burden they can be. Breast reduction for Birmingham and Grand Rapids area patients can deliver life-changing results, relieving shoulder and neck pain, improving posture, and helping you rediscover the joys of exercise and everyday physical activity. Board-certified plastic surgeon Dr. Brad Bengtson can reduce your large breasts, both reducing pain and discomfort as well as creating a proportionate, attractive, and natural appearance for your body.
Breast reduction helps Birmingham and Grand Rapids area patients achieve firmer, more natural-looking, better-shaped breasts that are uniquely designed to fit their personal body proportions and lifestyle. In your individualized consultation, Dr. Bengtson will help you create a customized plan to meet your goals, discussing and helping you decide on the following:
- The final reduction volume and size of your breasts
- Your incision options
- The type, shape, and size of your breast implant-if incorporated in your surgery
- Use of Seri Scaffold or internal mesh support for patients who require additional maintenance
*Result may vary from person to person.
To achieve optimal results, Dr. Bengtson may recommend a breast lift (mastopexy) if you do not qualify for an insurance-covered breast reduction. In addition, to make sure you’ve made the right decisions about your breast reduction, you will be able to visualize your personalized results with West Michigan’s only Vectra 3-D imaging and simulation system and actually see what your breasts will look like lifted.
In addition, Dr Bengtson will discuss with you whether the new Seri Surgical Scaffold that provides an internal hammock support to your breast would be helpful in creating a longer, improved outcome with fewer potential revisions.
To view the before and after photos of some of Dr. Bengtson’s breast reduction patients from the Birmingham and Grand Rapids area, click here.
What is Breast Reduction?
Breast reduction is a surgical procedure that results in breasts that are smaller, lighter, and better shaped by reducing breast fat, glandular tissue, and skin. The areola (dark skin surrounding the nipple) is commonly decreased in size, and nipples may be repositioned. Breast reduction can help decrease your back, neck, and shoulder pain and discomfort related to your breast size. It can also reduce the bra strap shoulder groove and improve the overall cosmetic appearance of your breasts.
Is Breast Reduction Right for Me?
Due to many circumstances, women of various ages choose breast reduction surgery. The following factors generally define good candidates for breast reduction procedures:
- You can clearly define why you want the surgery.
- You understand what breast reduction surgery can and cannot accomplish.
- You accept the potential risks of breast surgery and your responsibilities as a patient.
- You are healthy, emotionally secure, and stable.
- You accept that you will need to make healthy lifestyle choices to maintain the results achieved by breast surgery.
- You have realistic expectations and are willing to accept minor asymmetries.
Brad Bengtson, MD, FACS
"Best Plastic Surgeon - Grand Rapids" Grand Rapids Magazine for the past 7 consecutive years.
Elected by his peers for inclusion in Best Doctors in America® from 1996 to 2016.
Sought-after Global Speaker and Educator on all aspects of Plastic Surgery.
What Should I Know About Breast Reduction?
If you’re thinking about having a breast reduction, here are a few details you should know:
- Breast reduction is performed on an outpatient basis.
- Breast reduction is performed under general anesthesia, and the procedure takes between 1.5 and 3 hours.
- During your consultation, Dr. Bengtson will discuss your incision pattern for your procedure. Scars are normal outcomes of surgery and are generally concealed by modest lingerie and bras.
- To achieve desired results, some breast reduction patients in Birmingham and Grand Rapids also choose to incorporate breast implants in their surgery. Dr. Bengtson offers a complete range of implants: silicone, silicone gel, gel, cohesive gel, Style 410 “Gummy Bear,” and saline implants. If appropriate, he will guide you in selecting the best implant size and style for your desired breast shape, size, and projection.
- Recovery varies by individual, but many patients are able to return to daily activities of living and non-lifting jobs within a week following surgery. Results are permanent, but weight loss, weight gain, or pregnancy can alter your results. Normal aging and gravity may also affect your long-term outcomes.
- You will need a capable adult with you for 24 hours after your release from the surgery center.
- Afterward, you will return to your home or hotel. Our Concierge Program assists our out-of-town guests in finding accommodations at one of the premier hotels nearby, including the JW Marriott.
- All surgery carries the potential for risks, which will be fully discussed with you during your consultation.