Otoplasty Ear Surgery in Grand Rapids, Michigan
If you feel self-consciousness because your ears protrude or are misshapen, ear surgery at the Grand Rapids Bengtson Center can help. Michigan plastic surgeon Dr. Brad Bengtson uses sophisticated surgical techniques to create a natural angle between your head and your ears. Where needed, he can also create a pleasing fold and contour to your ears. These advanced techniques can define the natural architecture of your ear with hidden suture techniques, all through incisions behind your ear. As a result, your ears no longer protrude, but they also do not looked pinned back or overdone. Ear surgery can help Grand Rapids, Birmingham, and Detroit patients feel satisfied in knowing they have ears that naturally complement their facial features and contribute to a balanced, harmonious appearance.
What is ear surgery?
Ear surgery, also known as otoplasty, decreases the projection and the angle of the ear in relation to the head. Ear surgery also improves the shape of the ear, and it can be performed on adults and children alike. Ear surgery at our Grand Rapids practice can improve structural deformities that result in a misshapen or absent ear. Typically an incision is made in the back portion of the ear to either reshape or reduce the cartilage and reposition the Y-shaped folds of the ear.
Why might ear surgery be recommended for me?
Dr. Bengtson recommends ear surgery for his Grand Rapids, Birmingham, and Detroit patients to help them achieve the following benefits:
- Improved appearance of ears in relation to facial features.
- Repositioned ear projection off the head.
- Increased self-esteem and overall confidence of children and adults.
Who is a candidate for ear surgery in Grand Rapids?
Patients of all ages can benefit from ear surgery at the Grand Rapids Bengtson Center:
- Children generally aged 5 to 12 with very prominent ears
- Older adolescents able to articulate their desire for the procedure and to follow instructions
- Women and men of various ages and circumstances
Improving facial harmony through ear surgery can dramatically increase a personís self-confidence. The following factors generally define good candidates for this procedure:
- You can clearly define why you want the surgery.
- You understand what it can and cannot accomplish.
- You accept the potential risks of your procedure and your responsibilities as a patient.
- You are healthy, emotionally secure, and stable.
- You accept that you will need to make healthy lifestyle choices to maintain the results achieved by your surgery.
- You have realistic expectations and are willing to accept minor asymmetries.
What else should I know about otoplasty?
- Ear surgery is performed in our Grand Rapids practice on an outpatient basis.
- Scars are a normal outcome of surgery. The location and pattern of your incisions and the resulting scars will be discussed during your consultation.
- Your surgery may be performed under either general anesthesia or local sedation.
- Recovery ranges from 7 to 10 days, although you will return to light, normal daily activity immediately following surgery.
- Results are long lasting, and proper skincare is essential following surgery.
- You will need a capable adult with you for 24 hours after your release from surgery.
- Afterward, you will return to your home or, for our out-of-town guests, to one of the designated hotels conveniently located a short distance from our office.