Using specialized techniques and carefully placed incisions, Plastic Surgeon Dr. Brad Bengtson performs facelift surgery to help patients in Detroit, Grand Rapids and Birmingham, Michigan, who are unhappy with the wrinkled, sagging appearance of their face or neck. As we age, our face changes: full, youthful features begin to lose definition, our skin and tissues sag, and we lose volume. Dr. Bengtson feels passionate about offering his patients the most advanced, proven techniques available so that he can deliver maximum results with minimal recovery and down time. His surgical skills enable him to restore a youthful, natural look. Dr. B knows that when your face reflects who you are in positive ways, you not only look younger, you feel younger-attractive and energized.
Dr. Bengtson performs facelift surgery in Michigan using expert techniques customized specifically for his facelift patients from Detroit, Grand Rapids, and Birmingham. Depending on your specific needs, he can smooth sagging neck skin, restore a more defined, firmer-looking jaw, tighten sagging jowls, and smooth deep creases and fine lines. Friends and family will notice that you look younger and refreshed, but strangers would never guess that you have had surgery at all. Dr. B takes pride in personally performing all surgical procedures.
What is a facelift?
A facelift, also known as rhytidectomy, restores a more youthful, balanced facial appearance to the mid and lower face, including the neck. Facelift in Michigan for our Detroit, Grand Rapids, and Birmingham patients focuses primarily on improving jowling and upper neck skin, but it also improves facial folds and excess sagging facial skin. Facelift at our Grand Rapids Bengtson Center can restore youthful facial contours, making many of our patients look younger.
Facelift in Michigan at the Grand Rapids Bengtson Center involves a variety of techniques:
- Incisions for a full facelift are hidden just below the side burn and begin inside the ear, avoiding the older visible scar in front of the ear. They continue under and behind the earlobe and end just at the hairline.
- To improve the mid-face alone, Dr. B may use only one small incision just in front of the ear.
- To improve a double chin or a sagging neck, or to perform liposuction of the neck, Dr. B may add a small incision beneath the chin.
- With more limited incisions, an endoscope may be used.
Why might a facelift be recommended for me?
Looking more youthful and improving facial appearance may be attained through facial rejuvenating procedures such as a facelift at our Grand Rapids office in Michigan.
Who is an ideal candidate for a facelift at the Grand Rapids Bengtson Center?
Age alone does not define candidates for facial rejuvenation, including facelift. Women and men from Detroit, Grand Rapids, and Birmingham choose facial rejuvenation procedures to delay or improve visible features of facial aging. The following factors generally define good candidates for facelift procedures in Michigan:
- You can clearly define why you want the surgery.
- You understand what a facelift can and cannot accomplish.
- You accept the potential risks of this procedure and your responsibilities as a patient.
- You are healthy, emotionally secure, and stable.
- You accept that you will need to make healthy lifestyle choices to maintain the results achieved by a facelift procedure.
- You have realistic expectations and are willing to accept minor asymmetries.
Brad Bengtson, MD, FACS
"Best Plastic Surgeon - Grand Rapids" Grand Rapids Magazine for the past 8 consecutive years.
Elected by his peers for inclusion in Best Doctors in America® from 1996 to 2018.
Sought-after Global Speaker and Educator on all aspects of Plastic Surgery.
What else should I know about facelift at the Grand Rapids Bengtson Center?
- Facelifts are performed on an outpatient basis.
- Scars are a normal outcome of surgery, but they will be concealed within the hairline and natural contours of the face. The location and pattern of your incisions and the resulting scars will be discussed during your consultation.
- Facelift surgery for our Detroit, Grand Rapids, and Birmingham patients is performed under local anesthesia with sedation or rarely under general anesthesia.
- Recovery is usually about a week and, using new techniques, most patients have minimal to no bruising. You may return to light, normal daily activity the day following your procedure.
- Results are long lasting, but maintaining your youth is a lifestyle choice, and proper skincare is essential after surgery.
- Afterward, you will return to your home or, for our out-of-town guests, to one of the designated hotels conveniently located a short distance from our office.
- You will need a capable adult with you for 24 hours after your release from the hospital or recovery center.
- All surgeries carry the potential for risks, which will be fully discussed with you during your consultation. Our goal is to maximize both your outcome and your overall experience.
Ultherapy® and BOTOX® Cosmetic: New, Nonsurgical Facelift Alternatives
If you prefer a non-surgical approach to improving signs of facial aging, Ultherapy® , dermal fillers, and BOTOX® Cosmetic injections may also be used to effectively rejuvenate your appearance. Ultherapy® is a new, non-surgical face lift that uses ultrasound. All treatments are office procedures that may be performed in less than one hour with minimal to no downtime.
Ultherapy® is a new type of non-surgical, non-invasive facelift procedure that uses pulsed, focused ultrasound transmitted through the skin without treating or damaging it. Using the body’s own natural healing process, Ultherapy® lifts, tones, and tightens loose skin on the brow, neck, and under the chin. One Ultherapy® treatment can predictably lift the brows 2 to 3 millimeters, effectively shaping the brow angle and creating a greater upward sweep of the tail of the brow. The result is a more open, youthful appearance. For those who prefer a nonsurgical option to improving their appearance, an Ultherapy® facelift can be a great option for patients in Detroit, Grand Rapids, and Birmingham, Michigan.