Short-Incision Facelift and MACS Lift in Grand Rapids, Michigan
The short incision facelift, also known as a minimally invasive facelift, can restore a younger appearance to Grand Rapids, Detroit, and Birmingham area patients. At the Bengtson Center, plastic surgeon Dr. Brad Bengtson performs the Short-Scar SMAS (Sub-Muscular Aponeurotic System) facelift through smaller incisions, hiding them inside and directly behind the ear. He also offers another highly specialized variant, the MACS (Minimal Access Cranial Suspension) lift, which suspends the facial skin, fat, and muscles from above with a suturing technique. Both of these less-invasive procedures result in a naturally elevated cheek and mid-face region, smoother skin, and a beautiful, younger-looking you!
Dr. Bengtson performs short-incision facelift surgery for select patients from Detroit, Grand Rapids, and Birmingham. If you meet the selection criteria, you can reap all the benefits of a full-incision facelift-but with smaller incisions and shortened recovery time. In addition, Dr. B may recommend the use of dermal fillers such as JUVÉDERM VOLUMA™ XC to enhance your results.
What is a short-incision facelift?
The short-incision facelift can restore a younger appearance to our Detroit, Grand Rapids, and Birmingham patients, often turning the clock back 10 to 20 years. For the right candidate, the shorter incisions allow for all the benefits of a full-incision facelift, with a shortened recovery time. The MACS lift, one popular short-scar technique, is a highly specialized technique that suspends the facial skin, fat, and muscles from above. Following a Short-Scar SMAS or MACS lift, the cheeks and mid-face are naturally elevated, smoothed, and restored. These advanced techniques differ from other short scar techniques, providing longer-lasting results.
Why might a short incision facelift be recommended for me?
Looking young and improving your facial appearance is important to many people and can be achieved through many different procedures, including a short-incision facelift.
Who is a good candidate for a short incision facelift at the Grand Rapids Bengtson Center?
Age alone does not define candidates for facial rejuvenation, including short incision facelift. Women and men from Grand Rapids, Detroit, and Birmingham choose facial rejuvenation procedures to delay or improve visible features of facial aging. The following factors generally define good candidates for short-incision facelift procedures:
- You can clearly define your goals for surgery.
- You understand what a short incision facelift can and cannot accomplish.
- You accept the potential risks of this procedure and your responsibilities as a patient.
- You are healthy, emotionally secure, and stable.
- You accept that you will need to make healthy lifestyle choices to maintain the results achieved by a short incision facelift procedure.
- You have realistic expectations and are willing to accept minor asymmetries.
What else should I know about the short incision facelift?
- Short incision facelift is generally performed on an outpatient basis for our Grand Rapids, Detroit, and Birmingham patients.
- The incision pattern for your surgery will be discussed with you during your consultation. Scars are a normal outcome of surgery and will be concealed inside and behind your ear or in the hairline or natural contours of the face.
- Short incision facelifts are performed under local anesthesia with sedation or may be performed under general anesthesia.
- Recovery varies by individual, but bruising and swelling usually disappear by 1 to 2 weeks. You will return to light daily activity the day following your procedure.
- Results may be permanent, but maintaining your youth is a lifestyle choice and proper skincare is essential after surgery. In addition, normal aging and gravity may affect your outcomes.
- You will need a capable adult with you for 24 hours after your release from the hospital or recovery center.
- All surgeries carry the potential for risks, which will be fully discussed with you during your consultation.
Ultherapy®, Dermal Fillers, and BOTOX® Cosmetic: New, Nonsurgical Facelift Alternatives
If you prefer a non-surgical approach to improving signs of facial aging, Ultherapy® , dermal fillers, and BOTOX® Cosmetic injections may also be used to effectively rejuvenate your appearance. All treatments are office procedures that may be performed in less than one hour with minimal to no downtime.
Ultherapy® is a new type of non-surgical, non-invasive facelift procedure that uses pulsed, focused ultrasound transmitted through the skin without treating or damaging it. Using the body’s own natural healing process, Ultherapy® lifts, tones, and tightens loose skin on the brow, neck, and under the chin. One Ultherapy® treatment can predictably lift the brows 2 to 3 millimeters, effectively shaping the brow angle and creating a greater upward sweep of the tail of the brow. The result is a more open, youthful appearance. For those who prefer a nonsurgical option to improving their appearance, an Ultherapy® facelift can be a great option for patients in Detroit, Grand Rapids, and Birmingham, Michigan.