Plastic surgeon Dr. Bradley Bengtson specializes in neck lift surgery, helping his Grand Rapids, Birmingham, and Detroit area patients lose the loose, sagging skin around their neck, reduce the bulge that creates a double chin, and refine their jawline. Weight loss, aging, or heredity can all contribute to a neck that has extra skin or fatty deposits beneath the chin. If you are tired of hiding your “turkey neck” under scarves or high-collared shirts, perhaps it’s time to consider neck lift surgery. At the Grand Rapids Bengtson Center, this procedure often includes liposuction to reduce the fat pocket under the chin, followed by removal of the extra skin. Neck lift is performed as part of facelift surgery. As a result of neck lift surgery, our Grand Rapids, Birmingham, and Detroit area patients report feeling younger and more restored due to their newly defined appearance, which not only emphasizes the neck but also complements the face.
A neck lift redefines the neck by reducing a double chin and smoothing a neck that has lost its youthful appearance. The neck is often addressed in facelift surgery; however, if your neck is your prime concern, Dr. Bengtson will focus on your neck during surgery or perform a neck lift surgery alone. At the Grand Rapids Bengtson Center, techniques for this procedure include the following:
- Submental liposuction beneath the chin to reduce excess fat
- A small incision beneath the chin to tighten vertical muscles of the neck
- Horizontal hairline incisions behind the ears to reduce excess skin
Why might a neck lift be recommended for patients in Grand Rapids, Birmingham, or Detroit?
Looking young and improving facial appearance is important to self-confidence. A neck lift may dramatically improve your appearance, redefining your neck and revealing your chin and jawline.
Who is a candidate for a neck lift?
Patients of all ages can benefit from neck lift surgery at the Grand Rapids Bengtson Center. Women and men of various ages choose facial rejuvenation to delay or improve visible indications of facial aging. The following factors generally define good candidates for this procedure:
- You can clearly define what you wish to achieve through this procedure.
- You understand what a neck lift can and cannot accomplish.
- You accept the potential risks of a neck lift and your responsibilities as a patient.
- You are healthy, emotionally secure, and stable.
- You accept that you will need to make healthy lifestyle choices to maintain the results achieved by your surgery.
- You have realistic expectations and are willing to accept minor asymmetries.
Brad Bengtson, MD, FACS
What else should I know about neck lift surgery?
- Neck lifts are performed on an outpatient basis.
- Scars are a normal outcome of surgery and are generally concealed in hairline or beneath your chin. The location and pattern of your incisions and the resulting scars will be discussed during your consultation.
- Neck lifts are most commonly performed under local anesthesia with sedation.
- Recovery ranges from 5 to 7 days; however, you can generally return to light, daily activity the day following your procedure.
- Dr. Bengtson employs new techniques that can eliminate bruising, decrease pain, and accelerate recovery time.
- Results are long lasting, but maintaining your youth is a lifestyle choice, and proper skincare is essential following surgery. In addition, normal aging and gravity may affect your outcomes.
- You will need a capable adult with you for 24 hours after your release from the hospital or recovery center.
- All surgeries carry the potential for risks, which will be fully discussed with you during your consultation.
Ultherapy®, Dermal Fillers, and BOTOX®: Nonsurgical Neck Lift Alternatives
If you prefer a non-surgical approach to improving signs of facial and neck aging, Ultherapy®, dermal fillers, and BOTOX® Cosmetic injections may also be used to effectively rejuvenate your appearance. Ultherapy® is a new, non-surgical approach to improving a sagging neck by using focused ultrasound to effectively lift and tighten skin. All treatments are office procedures that may be performed in less than one hour with minimal to no downtime.
Ultherapy® is a new type of non-surgical, non-invasive procedure that uses pulsed, focused ultrasound transmitted through the skin without treating or damaging it. Using the body’s own natural healing process, Ultherapy® lifts, tones, and tightens loose skin under the chin and on the brow and neck. One Ultherapy® treatment can predictably tighten loose neck skin, improving definition. In patients with early jowling and without excessive skin redundancy, Ultherapy® may be an option. Visit our Ultherapy® page to learn more. During your consultation, Dr. Bengtson can help you determine if you are a good candidate for this new, non-invasive procedure. For those who prefer a nonsurgical option to improving their appearance, Ultherapy® neck lift can be a great option for patients in Detroit, Grand Rapids, and Birmingham, Michigan.