Rhinoplasty in Grand Rapids and Detroit in Michigan
Michigan plastic surgeon Dr. Bradley Bengtson offers nasal surgery, also known as rhinoplasty, for men and women from Detroit, Grand Rapids, and Birmingham who wish to achieve facial harmony and balance. Rhinoplasty is one of the most commonly requested surgical procedures to achieve facial harmony, symmetry, and contour. When approached with a personalized vision and current techniques, rhinoplasty offers highly satisfying, consistent, and safe results.
If you are dissatisfied with the size, proportion, angle, tip, or other specific feature of your nose, or if you have experienced changes due to injury, rhinoplasty in Michigan can address what you wish to improve and allow you to put your naturally beautiful, well-proportioned face forward. Our sophisticated VECTRA® 3D Imaging and Simulation System also provides an excellent tool for communicating with Dr. Bengtson. He will show you numerous virtual modifications before surgery, helping you envision a realistic range of possible results and choose an aesthetic result you will love!
What is rhinoplasty?
Nasal surgery repositions the nose to improve its appearance, form, and function. Also called rhinoplasty, the procedure can improve the proportions and angles of the nasal bridge, nasal tip, and nostrils, making the nose more symmetrical and proportionate to the face. It can also improve breathing.
Rhinoplasty nose surgery for patients in Detroit, Grand Rapids, and Birmingham in Michigan typically involves the following techniques:
- Internal incisions, called a “closed rhinoplasty” approach, may be performed.
- An added incision along the columella (the tissue that separates the nostrils) is known as an “open rhinoplasty. ” Dr. Bengtson prefers this technique because of its precision.
- Additional incisions may be required at the outside edge of the nostrils for changes to nostril size or to narrow the width of the base of the nose.
- The nasal bridge size or width may be reduced, reshaped, or enhanced.
- Humps or other irregularities may be improved.
- The angle of the nasal tip may be adjusted.
- The size, shape, or angle of the nostrils may be improved.
- Internal cartilage and structures may also be addressed, improving breathing and airflow.
Why might rhinoplasty be recommended for me?
The nose is a central feature of the face and one of the most important elements to achieving “facial harmony,” where all the facial features have balance and proportion. Even very minor changes from rhinoplasty at our Grand Rapids practice can dramatically influence facial appearance, harmony, and self-confidence.
Brad Bengtson, MD, FACS
Who is a candidate for nasal rhinoplasty surgery?
Women and men of many ages and circumstances undergo cosmetic procedures to attain improved facial harmony and balance. Good candidates for rhinoplasty include patients in Detroit, Grand Rapids, and Birmingham who wish to attain facial harmony. At our practice, patients of all ages and circumstances undergo rhinoplasty, and each has unique, personal reasons for choosing this procedure. The following factors generally define good candidates for rhinoplasty nasal surgery in Michigan:
- You can clearly and specifically define your expectations for the procedure.
- You understand what nasal surgery can and cannot accomplish.
- You accept the potential risks of nose surgery and your responsibilities as a patient.
- You are healthy, emotionally secure, and stable.
- You accept that you will need to make healthy lifestyle choices to maintain the results achieved by your surgery.
- You have realistic expectations and are willing to accept minor asymmetries.
How can I envision my appearance after a rhinoplasty in Michigan?
3D planning is essential for many plastic surgical procedures, especially surgery of the nose. The new Canfield Vectra® 3D Imaging and Simulation System provides an excellent tool for helping Dr. Bengtson understand exactly what you want to see as an end result. It also functions as an excellent educational tool, provides a platform for discussing your concerns, and gives you a general visual range of the surgical outcome you may expect from a rhinoplasty in Michigan.
What else should I know about rhinoplasty in Detroit and Grand Rapids?
- Nasal surgery is performed on an outpatient basis.
- The procedure is performed under either local anesthesia with sedation or general anesthesia.
- Recovery ranges from 1 to 2 weeks, during which time you may wear a nasal splint across the bridge. You may experience facial bruising, swelling, mild headache, and nasal congestion.
- Results may be permanent, but maintaining a youthful appearance is a lifestyle choice, and proper skincare is essential after surgery.
- You will need a capable adult with you for 24 hours after your release from surgery.
- Afterward, you will return to your home or, for our out-of-town guests, to one of the designated hotels conveniently located a short distance from our office.
- All surgeries carry the potential for risks, which will be fully discussed with you during your consultation.
- Occasionally, facial fillers such as JUVÉDERM® will be placed at the time of surgery or following your initial procedure to help smooth and contour your results.