If you’re considering laser skin resurfacing, the Grand Rapids Bengtson Center for Aesthetics and Plastic Surgery offers many safe, effective options to help you achieve smoother, more radiant skin. We understand how important your facial skin is to your overall appearance, and we also understand that time, sun exposure, skin disorders, and even injuries can damage the surface of your skin, creating lines and wrinkles, uneven texture, pigmentation changes, and scarring. Skin resurfacing at our Grand Rapids practice can help you reverse damage and reveal smooth, clear skin that lies beneath the surface.
The Bengtson Center offers many skin resurfacing options for our Birmingham, Grand Rapids, and Detroit patients, including chemical peels, laser treatments, DiamondTome™ microdermabrasion, and other clinically proven techniques. Our team treats each client individually, focusing on unique concerns and aesthetic goals. We use care and experience when selecting appropriate procedures for your skin type and condition so that you preserve your natural skin hue, avoid unwanted changes in skin pigmentation, and achieve the smoother, glowing skin you desire.
What is skin resurfacing?
Skin resurfacing for our Birmingham, Grand Rapids, and Detroit patients reduces pigmentation, surface wrinkles, and irregularities. Resurfacing options include chemical peels, laser procedures, and light-based treatments.
- Resurfacing is a form of highly controlled ablation (removal) of the upper layers of the skin so that new skin can form and collagen can be rebuilt and enhanced.
- Fractional resurfacing creates microscopic wounds and requires several treatments to remodel the skin over time.
- Non-ablative laser skin rejuvenation removes only the uppermost skin cells and requires repeat treatments to achieve and maintain improvement.
Why might I consider skin resurfacing?
Skin resurfacing has helped our Birmingham, Grand Rapids, and Detroit patients look younger and more attractive by improving the appearance of wrinkles, scars, surface irregularities, discoloration, and hyperpigmentation.
Who is a candidate for skin resurfacing at the Grand Rapids Bengtson Center?
Age alone does not determine who might be a good candidate for facial rejuvenation procedures. Women and men of various ages and from many circumstances choose to undergo skin resurfacing, and most of our Birmingham, Grand Rapids, and Detroit patients choose these procedures to delay or improve visible indications of facial aging and to correct skin surface irregularities.
The following factors generally define good candidates for facial rejuvenation procedures:
- You can clearly define your goals for skin resurfacing.
- You understand what these procedures can and cannot accomplish.
- You accept the potential risks of these procedures and your responsibilities as a patient.
- You are healthy, emotionally secure, and stable.
- You accept that you will need to make healthy lifestyle choices to maintain the results achieved by facial rejuvenation procedures.
- You have realistic expectations and are willing to accept minor asymmetries.
What else should I know about skin resurfacing?
- New skin may take 7 to10 days to fully regenerate following the procedure, depending on the depth of the peel and peeling process.
- Recovery for deep resurfacing may take 1 to 2 weeks.
- Results will help you look younger, but maintaining your results requires proper skincare and diligent sun protection.
- All procedures carry the potential for risks, which will be fully discussed with you during your consultation.
Laser skin resurfacing, chemical peels, and standard skin preparation techniques such as microdermabrasion, and such as microdermabrasion all work towards facials all work toward achieving clearer, more uniform, and brighter skin.