Soft, natural, entirely personalized – fat transfer uses your own tissue to enhance or reshape facial or body features. Fat transfer creates a soft and natural result to enhance the lips, reshape the cheeks or chin, or to soften deep hollows beneath the eyes. Fat transfer can also fill out deep facial creases, or improve the appearance of skeletal-looking hands, breast or body. This procedure can be performed in one office visit, or in conjunction with other plastic surgery procedures.
Details & FAQ
What is a fat transfer?
Fat transfer is a procedure to replace fat that has naturally diminished with age, or to enhance the soft tissue of facial and occasionally other anatomic areas resulting from prior trauma or surgery. Replacing fat requires that it first be removed with liposuction techniques from a site where it is abundant such as the abdomen, hips or buttocks. Within the same treatment session that it is extracted, the fat is injected or grafted to improve facial contours, lift creases and depressions and enhance cheeks, lips or occasionally the breast or extremities.
Why might fat transfer be recommended for me?
Looking young and improving fullness, volume and your facial appearance may be attained through fat transfer, or to help recontour areas of the body.
Who is a candidate for fat transfers?
Age does not define candidates for facial rejuvenation. Women and men of various ages choose facial rejuvenation to delay or improve visible indications of facial aging. These factors generally define good candidates for fat transfer:
- You can clearly define what you want to achieve for your appearance
- You understand what a fat transfer can and cannot accomplish
- You accept the potential risks of a fat transfer and your responsibilities as a patient
- You are healthy, emotionally secure and stable
- You accept that you will need to make healthy lifestyle choices to maintain the results achieved by a fat transfer
- You have realistic expectations and are willing to accept minor asymmetries
What should I know about fat transfers?
- Fat transfer is an out-patient procedure which may be performed under local anesthesia, or may be performed in conjunction with other facial rejuvenation procedures, such as a facelift
- Side effects include swelling, bruising and numbness
- Recovery varies by individual, most swelling and bruising will disappear in about 2-3 weeks
- Results are long-lasting, but maintaining your youth is a lifestyle choice and proper skincare is essential after the procedure. Normal aging and gravity may affect your outcomes
- All cosmetic procedures carry the potential for risks which will be fully discussed with you during your consultation