Necklift / Submental Liposuction
Weight loss, aging or heredity can contribute to a neck that is sagging, or bulges beneath your chin. Often performed in conjunction with a facelift, a necklift includes liposuction to reduce the fat pocket that accumulates under then chin. As a result of necklift, a younger, lighter, more defined appearance evolves that enhances not only the neck but also complements the face.
Details & FAQ
What is a necklift?
A necklift redefines the neck by reducing a double chin and smoothing a neck that has lost its youthful appearance. Techniques include:
- Submental liposuction beneath the chin to reduce excess fat
- A small incision beneath the chin that can tighten vertical muscles of the neck
- If excess skin needs to be reduced, incisions may be placed horizontally within the hairline behind the ears
- A necklift may be performed alone, or as part of a facelift
Why might a necklift be recommended for me?
Looking young and improving facial appearance is important to self-confidence. A necklift may dramatically improve your appearance, redefining your neck and revealing your chin and jawline.
Who is a candidate for a necklift?
Age does not define candidates for facial rejuvenation. Women and men of various ages choose facial rejuvenation to delay or improve visible indications of facial aging. These factors generally define good candidates for a necklift:
- You can clearly define what you wish to achieve through necklift
- You understand what a necklift can and cannot accomplish
- You accept the potential risks of a necklift and your responsibilities as a patient
- You are healthy, emotionally secure and you’re stable
- You accept that you will need to make healthy lifestyle choices to maintain the results achieved by a necklift
- You have realistic expectations and are willing to accept minor asymmetries
What should I know about necklifts?
- Necklifts are performed on an out-patient basis
- Scars are a normal outcome of surgery, and are generally concealed in hairline or beneath your chin. The location and pattern of your incisions and the resulting scars will be discussed during your consultation
- Necklifts are most commonly performed under local anesthesia with sedation
- Recovery ranges from 5-7 days, however you can generally return to light, daily activity the day following your procedure
- Results are long-lasting but maintaining your youth is a lifestyle choice and proper skincare is essential after surgery. In addition, normal aging and gravity may affect your outcomes
- You will need a capable adult with you for 24 hours after your release from the hospital or recovery center
- All surgeries carry the potential for risks which will be fully discussed with you during your consultation