Plastic surgeons Dr. Brad Bengtson and Dr. Ryan Mitchell specialize in liposuction for men at their Grand Rapids practice, the Bengtson Center for Plastic and Aesthetic Surgery. They know that no matter how fit you may be, you may still have excess fat beneath your chin, on your chest or breast area, or in your flanks and abdomen. Although diet and exercise may reduce the size of fat cells, liposuction helps to reduce their number and redefine your shape and contour. Our male liposuction patients include men from Grand Rapids, Detroit, and Birmingham. They know they can trust the Bengtson Center to use only the safest, most innovative techniques available to help sculpt the body they desire. Liposuction can be used to treat isolated small areas or multiple larger areas where pockets of unwanted fat exist, reshaping what diet and exercise alone cannot always achieve. With small incisions, limited downtime, and a focus on your safety, comfort, and lifestyle, the Bengtson Center can help you reduce excess fat and achieve a body that’s custom sculpted to fit your proportions.
Liposuction, also known as lipoplasty or liposculpting, recontours your body by surgically removing excess fat deposits resistant to weight loss and fitness. Liposuction results in a smoother, more sculpted look in men. At our Grand Rapids practice, this in-office procedure often accompanies facelifts and tummy tucks, but is also one of our most common stand-alone surgeries.
Areas frequently reshaped by this procedure include the following:
- Abdomen and trunk
- Waist, hips, and love handles
- Back and flanks
- Inner and outer thighs
- Chin and the neck area
- Upper arms
- Male and occasionally female breasts
Why might this procedure be recommended for men?
Reshaping disproportionate curves or reducing unwanted fat may not always be attained through weight loss and exercise alone. Liposuction can help men in Grand Rapids, Detroit, and Birmingham sculpt their body features. It can dramatically improve the shape and proportion of your body and enhance your appearance and self-esteem, even if you are at or below your ideal body weight.
Who is a candidate for male liposuction at the Grand Rapids Bengtson Center?
Men of various ages and from many circumstances choose to undergo male liposuction at our Grand Rapids practice. The best candidates are men who are close to their optimal weight but have isolated areas of fat. The following factors generally define good candidates for these procedures:
- You can clearly define what you wish to treat with liposuction.
- You understand what it can and cannot accomplish.
- You accept the risks of this surgery and your responsibilities as a patient.
- You are healthy, emotionally secure, and stable.
- You accept that you will need to make healthy lifestyle choices to maintain the results achieved.
- You have realistic expectations and are willing to accept minor asymmetries.
Brad Bengtson, MD, FACS
What else should I know about liposuction?
Liposuction will result in weight loss-from a few to several pounds-due to the reduction of tissue. However, it is not an alternative to a sensible exercise and weight-loss program. Following liposuction, we advise men from Grand Rapids, Detroit, and Birmingham to maintain their preoperative diet and exercise program to maintain optimal results.
- Liposuction incisions are very small, often about a quarter inch, and they are placed so that they will not be visible while wearing clothing or swimsuits. Incision placement for your surgery will be discussed with you during your consultation.
- This procedure is most commonly performed on an outpatient basis, under general anesthesia. For smaller areas, it may be performed under local anesthesia with sedation.
- Following your procedure, you will experience swelling, potential bruising, and some soreness in the treated area. Recovery ranges from 5 to 10 days. Within one day following surgery, you will return to normal, light activity.
- Results may be long lasting, but weight loss/gain can change your results, and normal aging and gravity may affect your outcomes.
- You will need a capable adult with you for 24 hours after your release from the surgery center.
- Afterward, you will return to your home or, for our out-of-town guests, to one of the designated hotels conveniently located a short distance from our office.
- All surgeries carry the potential for risks, which will be fully discussed with you during your consultation.
Do you have any fat-removal alternatives?
Dr. Bengtson and Dr. Mitchell are pleased to offer Zeltiq® CoolSculpting®, a liposuction alternative for men in the Grand Rapids area who are interested in a safe, non-surgical approach to removing stubborn fat deposits. CoolSculpting® is the first FDA-approved procedure that involves using cool energy to permanently destroy fat from various areas without surgery, and Dr. Bengtson and Dr. Mitchell have two separate units to shorten your treatment time by half!
This revolutionary new body contouring treatment for male and female patients precisely targets the stubborn fat you want to lose-just like liposuction, but without surgery. Most of our Grand Rapids-area patients see a noticeable reduction of fat, including love handles and that dreaded spare tire, after just one short visit. However, you may appreciate even greater fat reduction with additional treatments. Unlike traditional invasive surgical procedures, CoolSculpting® is non-invasive, with no needles, no incisions, no anesthesia, and no recovery time!