Weight gain, weight loss, and other factors beyond your control such as heredity may contribute to an abdomen that protrudes or folds over your waistline. The problem area may be limited to a small pouch around the navel, or it may extend to a larger area like the love handles. An abdominoplasty, or tummy tuck for men, at the Grand Rapids Bengtson Center for Aesthetics and Plastic Surgery could be just what you need to get rid of stubborn fat in your abdomen. Board-certified plastic surgeon Dr. Bradley Bengtson can customize your procedure to safely sculpt a flat, toned, masculine abdomen and waist that complements your body and meets your desired goals.
What is a male abdominoplasty?
Male abdominoplasty, commonly called a tummy tuck for men, creates a flatter, toned abdomen by reducing excess abdominal skin and tissue. A tummy tuck for men in our Grand Rapids practice may include one or more of the following:
- Correction of diastasis, a condition in which the vertical rectus abdominal muscles have become separated is common and may be repaired.
- The correction of excess skin and fat of the upper and lower abdomen is termed an abdominoplasty and may extend across the entire lower abdomen or be more limited depending upon the amount of extra skin you require to be removed. We customize a plan to each individual patient.
- Fat pockets alone, with minimal to no extra skin, may be removed with either surgical techniques of liposuction or non-surgical options such as CoolSculpting®.
- Fat-reduction techniques are also performed with the skin removal techniques of abdominoplasty.
Why might an abdominoplasty be recommended for me?
Dr. Bengtson recommends tummy tuck for men in Grand Rapids, Detroit, and Birmingham to help them reshape disproportionate curves or reduce unwanted fat and skin, which often cannot be attained through weight loss and exercise alone. Tummy tuck for men performed at our Grand Rapids practice may help you reshape body features that cannot be enhanced any other way. This procedure can dramatically improve the shape and proportion of your upper and lower abdomen, enhancing your appearance and your self-esteem.
Who is a good candidate for male tummy tuck in Grand Rapids?
Men of many ages and circumstances undergo male tummy tuck at our Grand Rapids practice. The following factors generally define good candidates for this procedure:
- You can clearly define why you want the surgery.
- You understand what abdominoplasty can and cannot accomplish.
- You accept the risks of abdominoplasty and your responsibilities as a patient.
- You are healthy, emotionally secure, and stable.
- You accept that you will need to make healthy lifestyle choices to maintain the results achieved by your surgery.
What should I know about abdominoplasty surgery?
- Abdominoplasty is performed on an outpatient basis.
- Abdominoplasty is performed under general anesthesia.
- Scars are normal after surgery and may be concealed by normal clothing and underwear.
- Recovery from tummy tuck surgery typically takes men from Grand Rapids, Detroit, or Birmingham 1 to 2 weeks, but you will be up and active the same day of the surgery.
- You will need a capable adult with you for 24 hours after surgery.
- Afterward, you will return to your home or, for our out-of-town guests, to one of the designated hotels conveniently located a short distance from our office.
- All surgeries carry the potential for risks, which will be fully discussed with you during your consultation.