If you feel self-consciousness because your ears protrude or are misshapen, ear surgery for men at the Grand Rapids Bengtson Center can help. Michigan plastic surgeon Dr. Brad Bengtson uses advanced techniques to create a natural angle between your head and your ears. Where needed, he can also create a pleasing fold and contour to your ears. As a result of male ear surgery, most Grand Rapids and Birmingham patients are extremely satisfied with their results: ears that naturally complement facial features and contribute to a balanced, harmonious appearance.
What is ear surgery?
Ear surgery, also known as otoplasty, decreases the projection and the angle of the ear in relation to the head. It also improves the shape of the ear. Ear surgery for men at our Grand Rapids practice can also improve structural deformities that result in a misshapen or absent ear. Typically an incision is made in the back portion of the ear to either reshape or reduce the cartilage and reposition the Y-shaped folds of the ear.
Why might otoplasty be recommended for me?
Dr. Bengtson recommends ear surgery for men in his Grand Rapids practice to help them achieve the following benefits:
- Improved appearance of ears in relation to facial features
- Repositioned ear projection off the head
- Increased self-esteem and overall confidence
Improving facial harmony through ear surgery can dramatically increase menís self-confidence at our Grand Rapids practice.
Brad Bengtson, MD, FACS
Who is a good candidate for male ear surgery in Grand Rapids?
Men of many ages and circumstances undergo male ear surgery at our Grand Rapids practice. The following factors generally define good candidates for this procedure:
- You can clearly define why you want the surgery.
- You understand what it can and cannot accomplish.
- You accept the potential risks of your procedure and your responsibilities as a patient.
- You are healthy, emotionally secure, and stable.
- You accept that you will need to make healthy lifestyle choices to maintain the results achieved by your surgery.
- You have realistic expectations and are willing to accept minor asymmetries.
What should I know about otoplasty?
- Ear surgery for men is performed in our Grand Rapids practice on an outpatient basis.
- Scars are a normal outcome of surgery. The location and pattern of your incisions and the resulting scars will be discussed during your consultation.
- Your surgery may be performed under either general anesthesia or local sedation.
- Recovery ranges from 7 to 10 days, although you will return to light, normal daily activity immediately following surgery.
- Results are long lasting, and proper skincare for men is essential after surgery.
- You will need a capable adult with you for 24 hours after your release from surgery.
- Afterward, you will return to your home or, for our out-of-town guests, to one of the designated hotels conveniently located a short distance from our office.