No matter how fit you may be, excess fat may collect beneath the male chin, at your chest or breast area, in the flanks and the abdomen. Although diet and exercise may reduce the size of fat cells, liposuction helps to reduce the number of fat cells and helps redefine your shape and contour. At the Bengtson Center for Aesthetics and Plastic Surgery, the most innovative and safe techniques in liposuction can help sculpt the body you deserve. Whether a spot treatment or reshaping larger areas, our liposuction techniques can help reshape what fitness alone cannot always achieve. With small incisions, limited down-time and a focus on your safety, comfort and lifestyle we are able to reduce excess fat and achieve a body custom-sculpted to fit your proportions.
Details & FAQ
What is liposuction?
Liposuction is the surgical removal of excess fat deposits resistant to weight loss and fitness, and results in smoother, more proportionate curves. Liposuction may also be referred to as liposculpture or body recontouring. Liposuction often accompanies many procedures such as facelifts and tummy tucks but also may be a stand-alone procedure. Areas frequently reshaped by liposuction include:
- Abdomen and trunk including
- Waist, hips and love handles
- Back and flanks
- Inner and outer thighs
- Below the chin and the neck
- Upper arms
- Male and occasionally the female breast
Why might liposuction be recommended for me?
Reshaping disproportionate curves or reducing unwanted fat may not always be attained through weight loss and exercise alone. Liposuction can help many people reshape body features, dramatically improving the shape and proportion of your body and enhancing your appearance and your self-esteem.
Who is a candidate for liposuction?
Women and men of various ages and from many circumstances choose liposuction. Patients with isolated areas of fat that are close to optimal weight are the best candidates. These and other factors generally define good candidates for liposuction procedures:
- You can clearly define what you wish to treat with liposuction
- You understand what liposuction can and cannot accomplish
- You accept the risks of liposuction and your responsibilities as a patient
- You are healthy, emotionally secure and you’re stable
- You accept that you will need to make healthy lifestyle choices to maintain the results achieved by liposuction
- You have realistic expectations and are willing to accept minor asymmetries
What should I know about liposuction?
Liposuction will result in weight loss from a few to several pounds due to the reduction of tissue. However, this procedure is not an alternative to a weight loss program and patients must maintain their preoperative routine and diet and exercise program to maintain their results
- The incisions for liposuction are very small often about 1⁄4”. The placement of incisions for your surgery will be discussed with you during your consultation
- Liposuction is most commonly performed on an out-patient basis
- Liposuction is most commonly performed under general anesthesia but for
- smaller areas may be performed under local anesthesia with sedation
- Following your procedure you will experience swelling, potential bruising and some soreness in the treated area. Recovery ranges from 5-10 days. Within the day following surgery you will return to normal, light activity
- Results may be long-lasting, but weight loss/gain or pregnancy can change your results and normal aging and gravity may affect your outcomes
- You will need a capable adult with you for 24 hours after your release from the hospital or recovery center
- Afterward, you will return to your home or, for our out-of-town guests, to one of the designated hotels conveniently located a short distance from our office
- All surgeries carry the potential for risks which will be fully discussed with you during your consultation