Time, sun, skin disorders, and even injuries can influence the surface of skin and greatly impact your overall appearance. Skin resurfacing uses highly controlled, individualized techniques to reveal a smooth, clear skin surface. Care and experience are key to selecting the appropriate procedures for your skin type and condition, to preserve your natural skin hue and avoid unwanted changes in skin pigmentation. Options provided at the Bengtson Center for Aesthetics – Skin Care may include chemical peels, lasers, microdermabrasion with our new Diamond-peel, or other clinically-proven techniques.
Details & FAQ
What is skin resurfacing?
Skin resurfacing reduces pigmentation, surface wrinkles and irregularities and includes chemical peels, lasers and light based treatments.
- Resurfacing is a form of controlled ablation (removal) of the upper layers of the skin so that new skin can form and collagen in the skin can be rebuilt and enhanced
- Fractional resurfacing creates microscopic wounds and requires several treatments to remodel the skin over time
- Non-ablative, or superficial resurfacing removes only the uppermost skin cells and requires repeat treatments to achieve and maintain improvement
Why might I consider skin resurfacing?
Looking young and improving facial appearance including wrinkles, scars, other surface irregularities and discoloration may be attained through skin resurfacing.
Who is a candidate for skin resurfacing?
Age does not define candidates for facial rejuvenation. Women and men of various ages choose facial rejuvenation to delay or improve visible indications of facial aging and skin surface irregularities. These factors generally define good candidates for skin resurfacing procedures:
- You can clearly define your goals for skin resurfacing
- You understand what skin resurfacing procedures can and cannot accomplish
- You accept the potential risks of skin resurfacing procedures and your responsibilities as a patient
- You are healthy, emotionally secure and stable
- You accept that you will need to make healthy lifestyle choices to maintain the results achieved by skin resurfacing procedures
- You have realistic expectations and are willing to accept minor asymmetries
What should I know about skin resurfacing?
- New skin may take up to 7-10 days to fully regenerate following the procedure
- Recovery for deep resurfacing may take 1-2 weeks
- Results will help you look younger, but maintaining your results requires proper skincare and diligent sun protection
- All procedures carry the potential for risks which will be fully discussed with you during your consultation