Weight gain, weight loss and other factors that are beyond your control such as heredity may contribute to an abdomen that protrudes, or folds over your waistline. These conditions may be limited to a small pouch around the navel, or conditions may be more extensive and reach into the love handles. At the Bengtson Center for Aesthetics and Plastic Surgery, we customize our techniques to safely sculpt a flat, toned, masculine abdomen and waist that complements your body and meets your goals.
Details & FAQ
What is an abdominoplasty?
Abdominoplasty, commonly called Tummy Tuck, creates a flatter, toned abdomen by reducing excess abdominal skin and tissue. An abdominoplasty may include:
- Correction of diastasis, a condition in which the abdominal muscles have vertically become separated.
- The correction of excess skin and fat of the upper and lower abdomen through an incision that and may require an incision around the belly button and that may be several inches in length or extend from hip to hip, at or above the pubic area, and may also require an incision around the belly button mini-tummy tuck is the correction of limited excess skin confined to the central portion of the lower abdomen. It requires an incision at or just above and the length of the pubic region and may be shorter in length.
Why might an abdominoplasty be recommended for me?
Reshaping disproportionate curves or reducing unwanted fat and skin cannot always be attained through weight loss and exercise alone. Abdominoplasty may help you reshape body features that cannot be enhanced any other way. Abdominoplasty can dramatically improve the shape and proportion of your upper and lower abdomen, enhancing your appearance and your self-esteem.
Who is a candidate for abdominoplasty?
Women and men of various ages and from many circumstances choose abdominoplasty. These factors generally define good candidates for abdominoplasty procedures:
- You can clearly define why you want the surgery
- You understand what abdominoplasty can and cannot accomplish
- You accept the risks of abdominoplasty and your responsibilities as a patient
- You are healthy, emotionally secure and you’re stable
- You accept that you will need to make healthy lifestyle choices to maintain the results achieved by abdominoplasty
What should I know about abdominoplasty surgery?
- Abdominoplasty is performed on an out-patient basis
- Abdominoplasty is performed under general anesthesia
- Scars are normal after surgery and may be concealed by normal clothing and lingerie
- Recovery from abdominoplasty may take 1-2 weeks, but you will be up and active the day of the surgery
- You will need a capable adult with you for 24 hours after surgery
- Afterward, you will return to your home or, for our out-of-town guests, to one of the designated hotels conveniently located a short distance from our office
- All surgeries carry the potential for risks that will be fully discussed with you during your consultation