Body-Contouring Surgery After Weight Loss in Grand Rapids
Plastic surgeon Dr. Bradley Bengtson performs body-contouring surgery after major weight loss for men at the Grand Rapids practice. They understand that losing a large amount of weight (100+ pounds) is a significant achievement that can improve your health, your appearance, and your attitude toward life. Unfortunately, however, losing a large amount of weight can leave patients feeling self-conscious and uncomfortable with loose, sagging skin, isolated pockets of fat, and uneven or undefined contours.
Thatís why we specialize in surgery after weight loss at our Grand Rapids Bengtson Center for Aesthetics and Plastic Surgery. Whether you have achieved your goal through bariatric surgery or dieting alone, we understand that post-weight-loss surgery can be a very important step in achieving the body and self-confidence youíve worked hard for. A personal evaluation, a customized plan based on your priorities, and trust in our specialized techniques and extensive experience can help you achieve your goals. You deserve to look your best. Let the Bengtson Center be your final step in completing your transformation.
Details & FAQ
What is post-weight-loss body contouring?
Surgically reshaping the skin and soft tissue of the body after dramatic weight loss corrects problems like loose or sagging skin, isolated pockets of fat, and uneven or undefined curves. Body-contouring surgery after weight loss at our Grand Rapids practice takes a specialized approach of assessing the entire body. We consider various approaches including but not limited to a total Body Lift and Circumferential Tummy Tuck by improving the following areas of concern:
- Face and neck
- Upper arms, from the axilla (underarm) to the elbow
- Upper and lower abdomen, including love handles and flanks
- Hips and buttocks
- Inner and outer thighs
Why might I consider post-weight-loss contouring?
Losing a significant amount of weight, whether with medical assistance or through your own efforts, can be challenging. Often, although the weight is lost, you may be unhappy with your resulting appearance as your skin may not conform to body contours, and you may have remaining pockets of fat that are resistant to diet and exercise.
Brad Bengtson MD, FACS
"Best Plastic Surgeon - Grand Rapids" Grand Rapids Magazine for the past 10 consecutive years.
Elected by his peers for inclusion in Best Doctors in America® consecutively since 1996.
Sought-after Global Speaker and Educator on all
aspects of Plastic Surgery.
Who is a candidate for body-contouring surgery following weight loss in Grand Rapids?
Major weight loss alone does not define who might be a good candidate for body-contouring surgery after weight loss. Men and women at our Grand Rapids practice often choose this option to achieve specific goals and improve their self-confidence. Whether you have lost significant weight due to medical assistance or strict exercise and diet, these factors generally define good candidates for post-weight-loss procedures:
- You understand the important of proper timing of surgery: approximately 18 months after your bariatric procedure or after you have obtained a stable, ideal goal weight.
- You can clearly define what you hope surgery can achieve for you.
- You understand what the procedures can and cannot accomplish.
- You accept the potential risks of surgery and your responsibilities as a patient.
- You are healthy, emotionally secure, and stable.
- You accept that you will need to make healthy lifestyle choices to maintain the results achieved by post-weight loss contouring.
- You have realistic expectations and are willing to accept minor asymmetries.
- You accept that scarring can be significant, although often well hidden in normal creases of the body.
What else should I know about body-contouring surgery after weight loss in Grand Rapids and Birmingham?
- Post-weight loss contouring is generally performed in stages. Some procedures may require an overnight stay in the hospital; however, most procedures may be performed on an outpatient basis.
- Scars are a normal outcome of surgery and can generally be concealed by modest clothing. The location and pattern of your incisions and the resulting scars will be discussed during your consultation.
- Body-contouring surgery after weight loss is performed under general anesthesia for our Grand Rapids and Birmingham patients. More limited procedures such as arm-lift may be performed under local anesthesia with sedation.
- Recovery ranges from several days to several weeks, depending on what kind of procedure you have.
- Results may be long lasting, but weight loss/gain can change your results. Normal aging and gravity may affect your outcomes.
- You will need a capable adult with you for 24 hours after your release from the hospital or recovery center.
- Afterward, you will return to your home or, for our out-of-town guests, to one of the designated hotels conveniently located a short distance from our office.
- All surgeries carry the potential for risks, which will be fully discussed with you during your consultation.