Rhinoplasty for Men in Grand Rapids and Detroit
Michigan plastic surgeon Dr. Bradley Bengtson offers nasal surgery, also known as rhinoplasty, for men in Detroit, Grand Rapids, and Birmingham who wish to achieve facial harmony and balance. When approached with a personalized vision and expert surgical techniques, rhinoplasty offers consistent, satisfying results. If you are unhappy with the size, proportion, angle, tip, or other specific features of your nose, or if you have experienced changes due to injury, nose surgery can help. Dr. Bengtson can help you achieve a naturally attractive, proportionate, balanced face.
What is rhinoplasty?
Nose surgery or nasal reshaping, technically called rhinoplasty, recontours the nose to improve its appearance, form, and function. This procedure can improve the proportions and angles of the nasal bridge, nasal tip, and nostril openings, making the nose more symmetrical and proportionate to your face. Rhinoplasty can also improve breathing.
Rhinoplasty, for men in Detroit, Grand Rapids, and Birmingham typically involves the following surgical techniques:
- Internal incisions, called a "closed" rhinoplasty approach, may be performed.
- An added incision along the columella (the tissue that separates the nostrils) is known as an “open” rhinoplasty. Dr. Bengtson prefers this technique because of its precision.
- Additional incisions may be required at the outside edge of the nostrils for changes to nostril size or to narrow the width of the base of the nose.
- The nasal bridge size or width may be reduced, reshaped, or enhanced.
- Humps or other irregularities may be improved.
- The angle of the nasal tip may be adjusted.
- The size, shape, or angle of the nostril may be improved.
- Internal cartilage and structures may also be addressed, improving breathing and airflow.
Why might nasal surgery be recommended for me?
The nose is a central feature to the face and one of the most important elements to achieving “facial harmony,” where all the facial features have balance and proportion. Nose surgery, even very minor changes to the nose with rhinoplasty, for men at our Grand Rapids practice can dramatically influence facial appearance, harmony, and self-confidence.
Brad Bengtson MD, FACS
"Best Plastic Surgeon - Grand Rapids" Grand Rapids Magazine for the past 10 consecutive years.
Elected by his peers for inclusion in Best Doctors in America® consecutively since 1996.
Sought-after Global Speaker and Educator on all
aspects of Plastic Surgery.
Who is a candidate for nasal surgery?
Good candidates for rhinoplasty include men and women in Detroit, Grand Rapids, and Birmingham who wish to attain facial harmony. At our practice, patients of all ages and circumstances undergo this procedure, and each has unique, personal reasons for choosing this procedure. The following factors generally define good candidates for nasal surgery:
- You can clearly and specifically define your expectations for the procedure.
- You understand what nasal surgery can and cannot accomplish.
- You accept the potential risks of nose surgery and your responsibilities as a patient.
- You are healthy, emotionally secure, and stable.
- You accept that you will need to make healthy lifestyle choices to maintain the results achieved by your surgery.
- You have realistic expectations and are willing to accept minor asymmetries.
How can I envision my appearance after a rhinoplasty?
3D planning is essential for many plastic surgical procedures, especially surgery of the nose. The new Canfield Vectra® 3D Imaging and Simulation System provides an excellent tool for helping Dr. Bengtson understand exactly what you want to see as an end result. It also functions as an excellent educational tool, provides a platform for discussing your concerns, and gives you a general visual range of the surgical outcome you may expect.
What else should I know about rhinoplasty for men in Detroit and Grand Rapids?
- Nasal surgery is performed on an outpatient basis.
- The procedure is performed under either local anesthesia with sedation or general anesthesia.
- Recovery ranges from 1 to 2 weeks, during which time you may wear a nasal splint across the bridge. You may experience facial bruising, swelling, mild headache, and nasal congestion.
- Results may be long lasting, but maintaining a youthful appearance is a lifestyle choice, and proper skincare for men is essential after surgery.
- You will need a capable adult with you for 24 hours after your release from surgery.
- Afterward, you will return to your home or, for our out-of-town guests, to one of the designated hotels conveniently located a short distance from our office.
- All surgeries carry the potential for risks, which will be fully discussed with you during your consultation.