Liposuction in Grand Rapids, Michigan
If you would like to remove stubborn, isolated fat deposits, liposuction (also known as lipoplasty or liposculpting) in Michigan at the Grand Rapids Bengtson Center for Aesthetics and Plastic Surgery can help you reach that goal. No matter how often you exercise or how carefully you watch what you eat, you may have pockets of excess fat beneath your chin, upper arms, breast, flanks, abdomen, hips, thighs, buttocks, or even knees. At the Bengtson Center, we use safe, innovative, state-of-the-art liposuction techniques to help our Grand Rapids, Detroit, and Birmingham patients achieve the slim, well-proportioned body they desire.
Bengtson Center Liposuction Basics
- Liposuction is the physical removal of fat cells from the body—the only way to be sure that they will not continue to contribute to a bulge or even grow larger.
- Dr. Brad Bengtson makes a variety of modern techniques and technologies available to suit each patient's unique needs. Options include standard liposuction, power-assisted liposuction, and laser liposuction, each with its own advantages.
- Since liposuction is not a weight-loss surgery, patients should be within 30 pounds of their ideal weight when getting the procedure.
- Liposuction is often combined with other procedures to enhance body contouring, such as tissue tightening for a tummy tuck or a breast lift for a Mommy Makeover.
- Lipo patients often undergo general anesthesia for this outpatient procedure, though local anesthesia with sedation may be used for smaller areas.
What is Liposuction?
Liposuction re-contours your body by surgically removing excess fat deposits resistant to weight loss and fitness efforts. The in-office procedure results in smoother, more proportionate curves in women and a more cut, sculpted look in men. Liposuction often accompanies other surgical procedures such as facelifts and tummy tucks, but also is one of our most common stand-alone procedures.
Areas frequently reshaped by liposuction in Michigan include the following:
- Abdomen and trunk
- Waist, hips, and love handles
- Back and flanks
- Inner and outer thighs
- Chin and the neck area
- Upper arms
- Male and occasionally female breasts
Liposuction can also be used to collect fat used in augmentation procedures—a technique known as fat transfer.
Also known as fat grafting, this body sculpting process involves Dr. Bengtson removing a small amount of fat from where it isn’t wanted, refining it, and then injecting it somewhere new to add desired volume. Prime areas for this transfer can be very small (the lips and other areas of the face) or larger (the buttocks, known as a Brazilian butt lift). Fat transfer can also be used to modestly augment breasts, enhance the hips to create an hourglass figure, fill in wrinkles on the hands or face, and add volume to the cheeks or chin.
Because the fat for this procedure comes from your own body, the area where it is injected recognizes it, which prevents rejection. Some of the fat will be reabsorbed, but Dr. Bengtson anticipates this and makes his injections accordingly, both in terms of placement and amount. The results are natural looking and long lasting.
Why Should I Choose the Bengtson Center for My Liposuction in Michigan?
Liposuction can be used to treat isolated small areas or multiple larger areas where pockets of unwanted fat exist. Regardless of the size, we use advanced techniques combined with hidden, quarter-inch incisions to limit your downtime and achieve amazing outcomes. Our primary focus is on your safety, your comfort, and your results. The clinically proven liposuction techniques we use at our Grand Rapids practice enable us to employ sophisticated body-sculpting strategies that help our patients realize their individual aesthetic goals.
Dr. Bengtson is a board-certified and internationally recognized plastic surgeon with more than 20 years of experience in the field. He has been selected as one of the Best Doctors in America® for 20 years in a row, has been recognized as a Castle Connolly Top Doctor, and is regularly voted as the best plastic surgeon in Grand Rapids by Grand Rapids Magazine.
While he is extremely well versed in all of the surgeries and treatments offered at his Bengtson Center, he has a particular ability and talent for helping women to contour their body to get the shape they want. Rather than handling each procedure as an isolated event, he approaches each patient as a whole person, understanding the overall end goal and suggesting procedures that can lead to those results. Liposuction may be all that is needed to achieve an ideal figure, or it may be one element of a plan tailored to produce a desired look.
Brad Bengtson, MD, FACS
"Best Plastic Surgeon - Grand Rapids" Grand Rapids Magazine for the past 8 consecutive years.
Elected by his peers for inclusion in Best Doctors in America® from 1996 to 2018.
Sought-after Global Speaker and Educator on all aspects of Plastic Surgery.
Why Might Liposuction Be Recommended for Me?
Reshaping disproportionate curves or reducing unwanted fat collections may not always be attained through weight loss and exercise alone. Liposuction in Michigan helps many of our Grand Rapids patients sculpt their body features. It can dramatically improve the shape and proportion of your body and enhance your appearance and self-esteem, even if you are at or below your ideal body weight.
Am I a Good Candidate for Liposuction at the Grand Rapids Bengtson Center?
Women and men of various ages and from many circumstances choose to undergo liposuction in Michigan at our Grand Rapids practice. The best candidates are patients who are close to their optimal weight but have isolated areas of fat. The following factors generally define good candidates for liposuction procedures:
- You can clearly define what you wish to treat with liposuction.
- You understand what liposuction can and cannot accomplish.
- You accept the risks of liposuction and your responsibilities as a patient.
- You are healthy, emotionally secure, and stable.
- You accept that you will need to make healthy lifestyle choices to maintain the results achieved by liposuction.
- You have realistic expectations and are willing to accept minor asymmetries.
What Else Should I Know About Liposuction in Michigan?
Liposuction will result in weight loss—from a few to several pounds—due to the reduction of tissue. However, liposuction is not an alternative to a sensible exercise and weight-loss program. Following liposuction in Michigan, we advise our Grand Rapids, Detroit, and Birmingham patients to maintain their preoperative diet and exercise program to maintain optimal results.
- Liposuction incisions are very small, often about a quarter inch, and they are placed so that they will not be visible while wearing clothing or swimsuits. Incision placement for your surgery will be discussed with you during your consultation.
- Liposuction is most commonly performed on an outpatient basis, under general anesthesia. For smaller areas, it may be performed under local anesthesia with sedation.
- Following your procedure you will experience swelling, potential bruising, and some soreness in the treated area. Recovery ranges from five to 10 days. Within one day following surgery, you will return to normal, light activity.
- Results may be long lasting, but weight loss/gain or pregnancy can change your results, and normal aging and gravity may affect your outcomes.
- You will need a capable adult with you for 24 hours after your release from the surgery center.
- Afterward, you will return to your home or, for our out-of-town guests, to one of the designated hotels conveniently located a short distance from our office.
- All surgeries carry the potential for risks, which will be fully discussed with you during your consultation.
Do You Offer Alternatives to Liposuction?
Dr. Bengtson is pleased to offer CoolSculpting® to Michigan patients who are interested in a safe, nonsurgical alternative to liposuction. CoolSculpting® is the first FDA-approved procedure that involves using cool energy to destroy fat from various areas without surgery, and Dr. Bengtson has two separate units to shorten your treatment time by half!
This revolutionary new body contouring treatment for men and women precisely targets the stubborn fat you want to lose, including love handles, muffin tops and that spare tire. Most of our Grand Rapids patients see a noticeable reduction of fat in the treated area after just one short visit, but you may appreciate even greater fat reduction with each additional treatment. Unlike traditional invasive surgical procedures, CoolSculpting® is non-invasive, with no needles, no incisions, no anesthesia, and no recovery time!
Another option with a localized focus is Kybella®, which is an injectable intended solely for treating a double chin. The active ingredient, deoxycholic acid, destroys fat cells by rupturing them, causing them to release the fat they hold into the body, where natural processes take over to eliminate it.
While Ultherapy® does not reduce fat like liposuction and the other methods mentioned here, its ultrasound-powered tightening abilities can help patients to get a slimmer, sleeker look by toning tissues that have sagged. Skin tightening procedures pair very well with liposuction, since skin does not always conform on its own to new body contours generated by fat-reduction surgery or treatments.
If you're ready to say good-bye to stubborn fat deposits, contact the Bengtson Center today to learn more about liposuction in Michigan, as well as CoolSculpting®. You can reach our Grand Rapids office by requesting your consultation online or phoning us at 616.588.8880.