Breast Revision in Grand Rapids with Seri Surgical Scaffold®, Strattice™, and AlloDerm®
Plastic surgeon Dr. Bradley Bengtson is among the country's leading specialists in revision breast surgery for his Grand Rapids, Birmingham, and Detroit, Michigan, patients who have experienced a complication following an original breast augmentation surgery. Unfortunately, revision breast surgery is all too common following a first-time breast surgery, and there are many primary reasons, or “drivers,” for this. One is “malposition,” where your breast or implant may be out to the side or armpit area, too far in, or too low on your chest. You may also have extra scar tissue around your implant, referred to as “capsular contracture,” your tissues may be very stretchy, or your implants may show signs of visible wrinkling and rippling. If you have experienced any of these issues following your original breast surgery, a revision procedure at the Grand Rapids Bengtson Center can correct even the most complicated problems and give you the beautiful, natural-looking breasts you were hoping for the first time!
Approximately 20% of Dr. Bengtson’s breast practice is revision or secondary breast revision surgery from outside his Grand Rapids practice, and he specializes in correcting these very challenging problems. Usually, when you have one or more of these complications, your body is telling you that your own tissues are not strong enough on their own, so you need some additional tissues or scaffolds to help support your weakened tissues or replace excessive scar tissues. The loss or lack of natural breast tissue to adequately cover a breast implant may also result in an unsatisfactory outcome following breast surgery.
*Result may vary from person to person.
For breast revision surgery at the Grand Rapids Bengtson Center, we use new materials such as the highly purified silk SERI™ Surgical Scaffold, along with porcine and human dermal tissues Strattice™ and AlloDerm®. These products provide revolutionary new matrices that help support and enhance undesirable outcomes such as implant malposition and capsular contracture. The matrices enhance your breasts and help you achieve an improved natural shape, softness, and appearance.
During your consultation for breast revision surgery at the Grand Rapids Bengtson Center, Dr. Bengtson will evaluate your breasts and recommend the type of material to use and techniques to provide the best outcome. He has one of the largest experiences in the world using advanced tissues in breast revision patients. Grand Rapids Plastic Surgeon Dr. Bengtson is an educator and trainer of plastic surgeons in the United States and all over the world on revision breast surgery, frequently traveling to Asia and Europe. He is also a global leader in breast aesthetics and the use of SERI™ Surgical Scaffold and Acellular Dermal Matrix such as AlloDerm® and Strattice™ for breast augmentation secondary revision surgery, which may be recommended specifically to improve the likelihood of success and longevity of your breast revision. View Dr. Bengtson’s patient before and after photos here.
What is SERI™ Surgical Scaffold?
SERI™ Surgical Scaffold is a new bioabsorbable, highly purified, woven silk mesh that may be used during breast revision to support breast tissues. At the Grand Rapids Bengtson Center, Dr. B also uses SERI™ Surgical Scaffold for first-time surgery in breast reduction , breast augmentation, or breast lift / mastopexy to give added support for patients with larger breasts or stretchy tissues, such as those that result from weight-loss surgery.
Learn more about this new technology that is transforming breast revision surgery.
What is Strattice™ revisional breast surgery?
Strattice™ and its human-based counterpart, AlloDerm®, is a tissue substitute that may be used in breast augmentation, breast revision, and breast reconstruction. It is designed to help control the breast pocket location and size, support and hold the implant in place, support repairs following malposition repair, and offer an additional layer of tissue that may help mask implant visibility, wrinkling, and rippling. There is also increasing evidence that it corrects and reduces the chance of developing capsular contracture, which is the leading complication of all breast implant surgery. Using this material and these techniques for breast revision, Grand Rapids Plastic Surgeon Dr. Bengtson has successfully treated more than 100 patients with recurrent capsular contracture.
Why might Strattice™ breast revision surgery be recommended for me?
Breast implants offer a long lasting size increase for your breasts bringing your body into better proportions. Strattice™ enhances the outcome of breast implants following breast surgery, decreasing the chance of further complications and more breast revision in the future. The result for many women at our Grand Rapids practice includes enhanced self-confidence and a more positive body image with longer-lasting results.
Who is a candidate for Strattice™ Acellular Dermal Matrix (ADM) revision breast surgery at the Grand Rapids Bengtson Center?
Women of various ages and from many circumstances choose breast implant surgery. These factors generally define good candidates for breast implant procedures:
- You can clearly define your goals for the procedure.
- You understand what breast implant surgery can and cannot accomplish.
- You accept the potential risks of breast surgery and your responsibilities as a patient.
- You are healthy, emotionally secure, and stable.
- You accept that you will need to make healthy lifestyle choices to maintain the results achieved by revision breast surgery.
- You have realistic expectations and are willing to accept minor asymmetries.
What should I know about Strattice™ ADM breast revision surgery at the Grand Rapids Bengtson Center?
- Revision breast surgery using ADM may be performed in our Grand Rapids surgery center on an outpatient or inpatient basis, depending on the nature and extent of your procedure.
- Breast revision is generally performed under general anesthesia, including those procedures that utilize ADMs.
- Recovery ranges from 2 to 5 days, but you’ll be up and walking on the day of surgery and back to your daily routine.
- Weight loss/gain or pregnancy may change your results, and normal aging or gravity may affect outcomes.
- You will need a capable adult with you for 24 hours after your release from the hospital or recovery center.
- All surgeries carry the potential for risks, which will be fully discussed with you during your consultation.
Brad Bengtson, MD, FACS
"Best Plastic Surgeon - Grand Rapids" Grand Rapids Magazine for the past 7 consecutive years.
Elected by his peers for inclusion in Best Doctors in America® from 1996 to 2016.
Sought-after Global Speaker and Educator on all aspects of Plastic Surgery.
Research and Innovation
- Dr. Bengtson is one of the global leaders of Acellular Dermal Matrix such as AlloDerm® and Strattice™ for breast augmentation secondary revision surgery, particularly in the treatment of capsular contracture, and he has one of the largest patient series in the world utilizing these tissues to correct this difficult, recurrent problem. These tissues may be recommended specifically to improve the likelihood of success and longevity of your breast revision.
- Dr. Bengtson is one of the world leaders in the use of Allergan Medical’s SERI™ Surgical Scaffold, and he has taught more than 700 plastic surgeons throughout the world on the nuances of this new material and new techniques to benefit patient outcomes.
- Dr. Brad Bengtson is recognized as one of the leading clinical investigators in the United States with the Natrelle 410 Silicone “Gummy Bear” gel breast implants prior to approval and thus has one of the largest experiences in North America.
- Dr. Bengtson has nationally supported research regarding High-Resolution Ultrasound Imaging and gel breast implants, following patients and identifying ruptured breast implant shells requiring replacement.
- Dr. Bengtson has performed many studies regarding the Vectra 3-D Imaging and Simulation, which allows patients to see breast augmentation and breast lift results prior to surgery-in the privacy of his Grand Rapids office.