Breast Augmentation in Grand Rapids, Michigan
Breast augmentation is consistently the number one or two most commonly performed procedure in the United States year to year —and this is certainly true at the Grand Rapids Bengtson Center, where we're known for helping women restore the natural shape and proportion of the breasts they love. Dr. Brad Bengtson and his team stay ahead of the curve, offering the most up to date generation of breast implants both round and shaped, textured and smooth, and have one of the top busiest practices in the world. In addition, Dr. Brad Bengtson's practice is 25 percent breast revisions, correcting complications patients have experienced from breast augmentation performed elsewhere. As he says, "It's the sophisticated first-time augmentation patient who recognizes: 'If he corrects this many augmentation complications from others, this is who I want doing my breast augmentation the first time.'"
KNOW THE BASICS
- Breast augmentation adds volume to enhance breast size, provide a new shape, and improve firmness of the breasts
- Breast augmentation patients undergo general anesthesia for their surgery, which is an outpatient procedure that lasts less than an hour and includes an advanced 24-hour Fast Trak recovery program
- The Bengtson Center continues to be the only West Michigan practice to offer VECTRA® 3-D imaging and simulation to give patients an amazingly accurate visual preview of the range of their actual outcome
- Dr. Bengtson is a nationally recognized expert, researcher, and guest speaker in breast augmentation and developer of breast implant innovations
- Breast implant follow-up is important. Most surgeons just recommend replacement at 10 years, or MRIs, which are very expensive and are not covered by insurance. Dr. Bengtson recommends his in office Ultrasound Technology which gives him the ability to follow a patient's implants for life. He has won national research awards for his research in ultrasound implant follow-up. Dr. Bengtson’s follow up is included in your surgical fee, with an "if it's not broke, don't fix it" approach and a highly accurate, officebased method for following your breast implants.
- Since he's performed more than 4,000 breast implant procedures, you can be confident you are in great hands with Dr Bengtson and that your breast augmentation outcome will be natural and proportional
What is Breast Augmentation?
There are plenty of before and after pictures of breast augmentation patients on the internet, allowing patients to get a rough idea of what the procedure accomplishes and what the surgeon can deliver. Simply put: Breasts get larger. But seeing breast augmentation results on someone else and understanding what goes into a comprehensive consultation and personalized surgery for you are two different things. Dr Bengtson utilizes his past research on standardization of the bra cup and VECTRA 3-D imaging to help patients navigate the important issues of implant selection.
*Result may vary from person to person.
The Bengtson Center team encourages every woman thinking about having breast augmentation to be educated as much as she can about the entire process. So read the extensive information we've provided and don't hesitate to ask us any questions that might pop up as you go.
Breast implants consist of a saline fluid or silicone gel contained within a strong but soft external silicone shell. Implants come in a wide range of sizes, shapes, and surface textures, and they can be filled with a variety of materials and degrees of cohesivity, or "stickiness." To achieve the specific look you want via breast augmentation, Dr. Bengtson offers a complete range of breast implants—silicone, silicone gel, gel, cohesive gel, standard gel, or saline—in a wide variety of shapes and sizes to match your breast look and feel. with our surgeons guiding you in selecting the best implant for your desired breast shape, size, and projection.
Breast augmentation via fat transfer involves the surgeon using liposuction to remove some of your fat from somewhere on your body you don't like and transferring it to a place you do. The fat is then processed and prepared for transfer to your breasts. Compared to breast implants, the fat transfer method leads to more modest increases, and is typically used in addition to a breast implant or to cover over areas of breast implants that have wrinkling and rippling. It is difficult with today's technology to add enough volume to the breast to use fat transfer alone without an implant.
The doctor will also evaluate your natural breast tissue, frame, and body size to establish your enhanced, natural, proportional, and beautiful breast outcome. Dr. Bengtson performs each breast augmentation in Grand Rapids, Michigan's state-of-the-art, safe, and fully accredited outpatient surgical facilities.
Why Should I Choose the Bengtson Center for My Breast Augmentation in Michigan?
Breast augmentation for Grand Rapids, Birmingham, and Detroit patients no longer requires weeks off for recovery. Positioning of the breast implant is determined by your natural breast tissue, fitness, and lifestyle. Dr. Bengtson champions a 24-hour Fast-Trak Recovery Program by creating the breast implant pocket in a non-traumatic way, without any bleeding, placing each implant to fit your pocket, and encouraging early range of motion and a quick return to activities of daily living with very few restrictions. Because every woman is unique, your breast augmentation in Michigan at the Grand Rapids Bengtson Center for Aesthetics and Plastic Surgery is customized to fit your specific goals, lifestyle, breasts, body, and desired outcome.
The Get Up and Go, 24-Hour Fast Trak Recovery for Breast Augmentation Patients
While breast augmentation has long been used to add volume to women's breasts, the surgery has also long been marked by discomfort or even pain lasting weeks and requiring significant down time and narcotic pain relievers. Dr. Bengtson's Fast-Trak recovery keeps swelling and bruising to a minimum and allows breast augmentation patients to return to their daily life immediately, giving them more time to enjoy their new look without the traditional limitations or drawbacks, pain, and length of recovery of this surgery in years past.
Dr. Bengtson's advanced Fast-Trak Recovery Program allows patients to enjoy a return to their daily activities in 24 to 48 hours after breast augmentation. His precise and meticulous methods keep recovery to a minimum. He suggests that after leaving the surgical center, they go home and take a nap, then head out for an evening of low-key activity, such as seeing a movie, having dinner, shopping, or a soccer game. For more information about Grand Rapids, or if you are interested in travelling for surgery, please visit our patient fly-in section.
Can I See My Breast Enhancement Results Before Surgery?
Following cost and safety, your individual outcome is the most important aspect in your breast augmentation decision-making process. In West Michigan, patients typically do not want their breasts to be too large or too small at the end of the surgery, and stuffing your bra with an implant or looking at another patients' before and after photos may give you some idea of what to roughly expect, but cannot accurately or realistically portray YOUR unique outcome.
Your individualized consultation and plan for breast augmentation at the Grand Rapids Bengtson Center includes selection of the type, shape, and size of your breast implants using West Michigan's first and only Vectra® 3-D imaging and simulation system.
To view the before and after 3D Imaging photos of some of Dr. Bengtson's breast augmentation patients from Grand Rapids, Birmingham, or Detroit, click here.
What Are the Different Kinds of Breast Implants?
Don't worry about making a premature decision now on the specific breast implants you would like to receive. There are so many misconceptions about breast implants that Dr. Bengtson will clarify them with you. The surgeon will walk you through your breast augmentation options and explain the benefits of each one for your specific situation. Your body type, current breast size and shape, desired increase, current firmness of your breast, and other factors will all play a part in determining the implant options for you.
For now, it's a good idea to learn some breast implant basics, which essentially boil down to saline and various cohesivities or firmness of silicone fillers.
Silicone is a thicker substance, closer in consistency to human fat than saline. Silicone devices come in both round- and anatomical/teardrop shapes, which are filled before insertion. In the case of a fold-flaw or shell tear, the extremely thick gel remains in the implant shell and the amount that may extrude out of the shell remains inside the capsule or "internal zip-lock bag" that forms around the implant. On our breast implant page, you can see videos of Dr. Bengtson cutting implant shells so you can visualize how thick the silicone gel is. Another extremely reassuring thing for breast augmentation patients is that Dr. Bengtson has won national research awards in plastic surgery using high resolution ultrasound for the detection of breast implant shell failure and has found it superior to MRI for that task. MRIs cost $3,500, with insurance companies not paying for this test for breast implant follow-up. The FDA has recommended MRI at three to five and seven years following breast augmentation; this schedule would cost more than the actual procedure for most patients. We wrap the ultrasound follow-up into the surgical fees, and this gives patients great reassurance. Shell failure usually does not occur until seven or eight years following surgery, so we begin imaging patients at that time or when there are any changes or trauma to their breasts. See our high resolution ultrasound webpage and our published articles for additional information.
A popular variation in silicone-based breast augmentation is a thicker, more cohesive, form-stable gel found in Natrelle® Style 410 "Gummy Bear" implants, given their nickname because of how their increased consistency looks and feels similar to the cute candies. The shell around this form-stable silicone is shaped like a teardrop, providing a more tapered shape of the upper pole of the breast.
Dr. Bengtson was the lead investigator for the study and launch of the Natrelle® 410 "Gummy Bear" implant, and trains other doctors in how to properly use the breast implants to help breast augmentation patients achieve the best results possible all over the world. He has used this device in more than 800 patients.
Another note on teardrop-shaped breast implants: These are designed mimic the natural anatomy of the breast, tapering gently to create a smooth slope of the upper part of the breast. The lower pole of the breast most visibly benefits from the volume increase with these implants. Keep in mind that if they happen to rotate after your breast augmentation surgery, the shift may be visually apparent, which is one down side the surgeons will discuss with you.
If round implants rotate, there should be no visible change to the breast. This shape provides a boost in volume that appears on both the upper and lower poles, which will remain no matter which end is up. Note that form-stable silicone is currently unavailable for round breast implants, however Allergan Medical is set to release these breast augmentation devices, hopefully in 2016.
Another factor to consider in breast augmentation is texture, since breast implants can be either textured or smooth. Implants with a textured shell tend to build up less scar tissue that secures them in their intended position and holds them tight, by "confusing" the scar tissue that forms around them. Smooth-shell breast implants may have a greater chance or rotation, but they also move more freely and naturally within the pocket created for them.
Where Can I Learn More About Gummy Bear Breast Implants?
In May 2012, Dr. Bengtson was selected as one of the main leaders and educators to certify surgeons in the United States, Europe, and Asia regarding the Natrelle® 410 "Gummy Bear" Cohesive Gel implant. He developed the educational platform for plastic surgeons, and his knowledge and experience of this development in the world of breast augmentation have only increased since then, positioning him as a global expert on the modern implant.
Candidates for breast augmentation with the 410 Silicone "Gummy Bear" implant must meet the following criteria:
- Be a female 22 years of age or older
- Have a condition appropriate for breast enhancement, reconstruction, or revision
- Have adequate tissue available to cover the breast implants
Learn more about breast augmentation in Michigan and breast implant essentials while evaluating if the 410 Silicone "Gummy Bear" implant is right for you.
Who Should I Have Perform My Breast Augmentation?
Board-certified plastic surgeon Dr. Bradley Bengtson is among the most experienced and recognized experts on breast augmentation in Michigan—Grand Rapids, Birmingham, Detroit—as well as in the United States and throughout the world. Dr. Bengtson's approach to breast augmentation includes three key goals: enhance your breast size and volume, improve the shape and firmness of your breasts, and create a natural, restored breast appearance.
- Dr. Bengtson is one of the country's foremost leaders in breast augmentation, having performed more than 4,000 breast procedures.
- With the Bengtson Center's advanced Vectra® 3-D imaging and simulation technology, you can actually visualize simulated results of your breast augmentation surgery beforehand.
- Dr. Bengtson is a leader, researcher, educator, and surgeon using the Natrelle® 410 "Gummy Bear" implant, one of the most widely used, natural-looking, shaped breast implants available.
- Thanks to Dr. Bengtson's Fast-Trak Recovery Program, following your breast augmentation at his Grand Rapids practice, you can return to normal activities in 24 to 48 hours, and typically be out to dinner the night of the procedure.
- Dr. Bengtson conducts thorough follow-up of your breast implants using high-resolution ultrasound, currently at no additional charge, potentially saving breast augmentation patients thousands of dollars over expensive MRIs.
- Your breast augmentation in Michigan includes complimentary BOTOX® Cosmetic or Latisse® eyelash enhancements for both you and a friend.
Why Choose Dr. Bengtson for Breast Augmentation?
Dr. Bengtson has performed many studies on 3D photography, imaging, and simulation of before and after results. He is also one of the global leaders of Acellular Dermal Matrices (ADM) such as Strattice™ and AlloDerm® for secondary revision breast augmentation surgery, as well as internal support of the breast for mastopexy and breast reductions. Grand Rapids, Birmingham, and Detroit area women need look no further than the Bengtson Center for Plastic and Aesthetic Surgery for all their breast augmentation needs.
Brad Bengtson, MD, FACS
Am I a Good Candidate for Breast Augmentation Surgery in Michigan?
Although the average age of a breast augmentation patient is about 35, women from 18 to well into their 60s may elect to have the surgery at the Grand Rapids Bengtson Center. Their reasons for choosing the procedure vary from breasts that have been asymmetrical in shape or volume, never having breasts, or being unhappy with a prior breast procedure. Breast augmentation can also help with volume loss following pregnancy and breastfeeding, sagging breasts from gravity, and weight loss. Revision of a prior breast surgery that yielded less-than-ideal results is also frequently cited as a motivating factor.
There are many factors that generally define good candidates for breast augmentation procedures.
- You can clearly define why you would like breast augmentation surgery.
- You understand what breast enlargement surgery can and cannot accomplish.
- You accept the risks of breast enhancement surgery and your responsibilities as a patient.
- You are physically healthy, emotionally secure, and stable.
- You accept that you will need to make healthy lifestyle choices to maintain your breast augmentation results.
- You understand breast implants are not for life, that you will require follow-up, and that you will eventually need to have your implants exchanged.
- You are looking for proportional, natural, and restored breast results.
What Else Should I Know About Breast Enhancement Surgery?
You already know that Dr. Bengtson performs breast augmentation in Michigan at his Grand Rapids surgery center on an outpatient basis, under general anesthesia, utilizing his Fast-Trak Recovery Program. Learn more details about the figure-changing process.
- Although placement of your implants may be beneath your breast tissue only, the implants are typically placed partially beneath the pectoral or chest muscle. During your consultation, Dr. Bengtson will discuss the incision pattern for your surgery. Scars are a normal outcome of breast augmentation, and Grand Rapids area patients generally elect to conceal them in the breast crease, although around the nipple/areola, or in the underarm area are additional options.
- Return to normal activities of daily living is usually between 24 to 48 hours with minimal restrictions, including immediate return to the gym, but with no bouncing or chest-focused exercises. You may return to full sports activity—running, jogging, high-impact aerobics—in approximately four weeks after breast augmentation.
- You will need a capable adult with you for 24 hours after your breast augmentation.
- Afterward, you will return to your home or hotel. Our concierge program assists our out-of-town guests in finding accommodations at one of the premier hotels nearby, including the JW Marriott or Hampton Inn.
- Weight loss, weight gain, or pregnancy may change your results, and normal aging and gravity may affect your breast augmentation results over time.
- All surgeries carry the potential for risks, which will be discussed in detail during your consult.
- You will make decisions and trade-offs based on the type of implant, incision approaches, and implant selection, each of which will be fully discussed with you during your breast augmentation consultation.
Dr. Bengtson and the entire staff of the Bengtson Center for Plastic and Aesthetic Surgery in Michigan want you to be well informed about your choices and any potential risks or side effects. They will thoroughly explain your breast augmentation options, answer all your questions, and support you in whatever decision you make.