Plastic Surgeon Dr. Brad Bengtson specializes in secondary breast reconstruction surgery for his Grand Rapids and Birmingham patients who have experienced complications due to prior surgery following cancer treatment, prior breast reduction, or cosmetic surgery.
Dr. Bengtson performs breast reconstruction, also known as restoration mammoplasty, by utilizing your own tissue, tissue expansion, breast implants, or a combination of techniques to help you feel whole again. Breast reconstruction is a process, not a single procedure, and it begins by developing a plan that is individualized to meet your specific goals and your unique body.
What is breast reconstruction?
Breast reconstruction, also known as restoration mammoplasty, restores breasts that have been partially or completely removed due to breast cancer treatment, or breasts that are absent or disfigured due to genetic causes, birth factors, or trauma. For breast reconstruction at our Grand Rapids practice, Dr. Bengtson uses various techniques to create or reconstruct the breast, including breast tissue expanders and implants, autologous reconstruction with a woman’s own skin, fat and/or muscle, or a combination of techniques.
Why would breast reconstruction be recommended for me?
Breasts surgically removed or disfigured after surgery to treat disease, or as the result of genetic anomalies, may be restored to a more natural appearance.
Who is a candidate for breast reconstruction in Grand Rapids?
Women of various ages and from many circumstances choose breast reconstruction surgery. At our Grand Rapids practice, our patients often choose this procedure to restore their breasts to a more natural appearance. The following factors generally define good candidates for breast reconstruction procedures:
- You can clearly define why you want the surgery.
- You understand what breast reconstruction surgery can and cannot accomplish.
- You accept the potential risks of breast surgery and your responsibilities as a patient.
- You are generally healthy, emotionally secure, and stable.
- You accept that you will need to make healthy lifestyle choices to maintain the results achieved by breast surgery.
- Your treating physician for breast cancer confers with Dr. Bengtson that breast reconstruction will not interfere with the treatment of your breast cancer.
- You have realistic expectations and are willing to accept minor asymmetries.
Brad Bengtson, MD, FACS
"Best Plastic Surgeon - Grand Rapids" Grand Rapids Magazine for the past 8 consecutive years.
Elected by his peers for inclusion in Best Doctors in America® from 1996 to 2018.
Sought-after Global Speaker and Educator on all aspects of Plastic Surgery.
What else should I know about secondary breast reconstruction at the Grand Rapids Bengtson Center?
- Breast reconstruction is generally performed on an in-patient basis.
- The incision pattern for your breast reconstruction surgery will be discussed with you during your consultation at our Grand Rapids office. Scars are a normal outcome of surgery. The location and pattern of your incisions and the resulting scars will be discussed during your consultation.
- Breast reconstruction is performed under general anesthesia.
- Recovery ranges from several days to several weeks depending on the technique used in your reconstruction.
- You will need a capable adult with you for 24 hours after your release from the hospital or recovery center.
- Afterward, you will return to your home or, for our out-of-town guests, to one of the designated hotels conveniently located a short distance from our office.
- Implants are long lasting however weight loss, gain, ageing, pregnancy and gravity can change your results and outcomes.
- All surgeries carry the potential for risks, which will be fully discussed with you during your consultation.
Research and Innovation
Dr. Brad Bengtson is recognized as one of the leading clinical investigators in the United States with the Natrelle 410 Silicone “Gummy Bear” gel breast implants prior to approval and thus has one of the largest experiences in North America. To learn if you are a good candidate for the 410 Silicone “Gummy Bear” implant, call our office. In general you need to meet these criteria:
- Be a female 22 years of age or older
- Have a condition appropriate for breast augmentation, reconstruction, or revision
- Have adequate tissue available to cover the implant(s)
- Be willing to sign the Informed Consent document, which gives you information about your breast implants and confirms your commitment to follow study requirements and acceptance of the potential risks involved
Here are a few more reasons to consider Dr. Bengtson for your secondary breast reconstruction surgery in Grand Rapids, Michigan:
- Dr. Bengtson has nationally supported research regarding High-Resolution Ultrasound Imaging and gel breast implants, following patients and identifying ruptured breast implant shells requiring replacement.
- Dr. Bengtson has performed many studies regarding the Vectra 3-D Imaging and Simulation, which allows patients to see results prior to surgery.
- Dr. Bengtson is one of the global leaders of Acellular Dermal Matrix such as AlloDerm® and Strattice™ for breast augmentation revisional surgery that may or may not be recommended to increase the longevity of your result.
- Dr. Bengtson is also one of the global leaders in using SERI™ Surgical Scaffold in breast revision surgery or in patients having surgery for the first time that are undergoing a breast reduction surgery or combined augmentation and lifting that require additional support. Contact the Bengtson Center for Aesthetics and Plastic Surgery to see if you would qualify to be a part of this new clinical study of this FDA- approved product.