Plastic surgeon Dr. Brad Bengtson uses advanced surgical techniques to perform blepharoplasty eyelid surgery for their patients in Grand Rapids and Birmingham, Michigan, helping them look alert, content, and as young on the outside as they feel on the inside. After all, your eyes are the focal point of your face, connecting you visually with others. When you look in the mirror, are you tired of seeing hooded, droopy eyes or puffy bags and dark circles under your eyes? If so, eyelid surgery might be right for you.
Blepharoplasty, also known as "eyelid surgery" or "eye lift surgery," is a highly individualized procedure to refine the contour of your upper eyelids, to smooth hollows, and to remove bags and puffiness of the lower eyelid. Eyelid surgery results in a fresher, brighter, more open appearance to your face. It is one of the most cost-effective, least downtime, greatest “bang for your buck” surgical procedures available to rejuvenate your appearance—all with minimal complications. Blepharoplasty is often combined with brow lift surgery or BOTOX® Cosmetic for optimal improvement in the eye area.
Eyelid surgery is also one of the most common procedures requested at our Grand Rapids practice. You can trust Dr. Bengtson’s individualized, detail-oriented approach to help you achieve youthful, rested, and naturally attractive eyes that reflect your true vitality.
What is eyelid surgery?
Eyelid surgery, also known as blepharoplasty, restores or sculpts a youthful contour to the upper eyelids, the lower eyelids, or both. This procedures revives the eye area by removing sagging skin from the upper eyelids, tightening droopy lower eyelids, and reducing puffy bags from underneath the eyes, which can also improve dark circles. Blepharoplasty eyelid surgery can also improve the visual field of some Grand Rapids patients whose sagging upper eyelids interfere with and obstruct their vision.
Blepharoplasty eyelid surgery at our Grand Rapids practice typically includes the following techniques:
- An incision within the natural crease of the upper eyelid. Fat may be redistributed or removed, excess skin is diminished, and a more alert, refreshed look is restored.
- Through an incision inside the lower eyelid, fat may be reduced, grafted, or redistributed to improve hollow areas beneath your eyes.
- An incision just at or below the lower lash line allows for the reduction of excess sagging skin below the lower eyelid and correction of bags and puffiness.
- An incision beyond the outer corner of the eye can tighten the tendons of the eyes, improving a down-turned appearance and a “sad eyes” look.
Why might blepharoplasty eyelid surgery be recommended for me?
Look on the outside as youthful as you feel on the inside! Eyelid surgery can refresh and renew the facial appearance of women and men of all ages.
Who is a candidate for blepharoplasty eyelid surgery in Grand Rapids?
Age alone does not define who might be a good candidate for facial rejuvenation or blepharoplasty. Men and women at our Grand Rapids practice often choose these kinds of procedures to delay or improve visible indications of facial aging. Your surgeon will help you determine the right procedure for you during your personalized consultation. The following factors generally define good candidates for eye lift procedures:
- You have extra upper eyelid skin and/or lower eyelid bagginess that make you look tired and sad.
- You can clearly define why you want the surgery.
- You understand what eyelid surgery can and cannot accomplish.
- You accept the potential risks of blepharoplasty surgery and your responsibilities as a patient.
- You are healthy, emotionally secure, and stable.
- You accept that you will need to make healthy lifestyle choices to maintain the results achieved by eyelid surgery.
- You have realistic expectations and are willing to accept minor asymmetries.
What else should I know about eye lift surgery at the Grand Rapids Bengtson Center?
- Eye lift surgery is performed on an outpatient basis.
- Scars are a normal outcome of surgery and are generally concealed within the natural eyelid crease. The location and pattern of your incisions and the resulting scars will be discussed during your consultation.
- Eyelid surgery is performed under local anesthesia with sedation or general anesthesia.
- Recovery varies by individual, but usually takes 7 to 10 days for swelling and bruising to resolve. You may return to light, normal activity the day after your procedure.
- Results are long lasting, but maintaining your youth is a lifestyle choice, and proper skincare is essential after surgery.
- You will need a capable adult with you for 24 hours after your release from the hospital or recovery center.
- All surgeries carry the potential for risks, which will be fully discussed with you during your consultation.