Plastic Surgeons, Dr. Brad Bengtson and Dr. David Alfonso specialize in secondary breast reconstruction surgery for Grand Rapids and Birmingham patients who have experienced complications due to prior surgery following cancer treatment, prior breast reduction, or cosmetic surgery.
Dr. Bengtson and Dr. Alfonso perform breast reconstruction, also known as restoration mammoplasty, by utilizing your own tissue, tissue expansion, breast implants, or a combination of techniques to help you feel whole again. Breast reconstruction is a process, not a single procedure, and it begins by developing a plan that is individualized to meet your specific goals and your unique body.
What Is Breast Reconstruction?
Breast reconstruction, also known as restoration mammoplasty, restores breasts that have been partially or completely removed due to breast cancer treatment, or breasts that are absent or disfigured due to genetic causes, birth factors, or trauma.
For secondary breast reconstruction Grand Rapids plastic surgeon, Dr. Bengtson or Dr. Alfonso use various techniques to create or reconstruct the breast, including breast tissue expanders and implants, autologous reconstruction with a woman’s own skin, fat and/or muscle, or a combination of techniques.
1. Breast reconstruction is generally performed on an in-patient basis.
2. Secondary breast reconstruction is performed under general anesthesia.
3. All surgeries carry the potential for risks, which will be fully discussed with you during your consultation.
4. You will need a capable adult with you for 24 hours after your release from the hospital or recovery center.
5. Recovery ranges from several days to several weeks depending on the technique used in your reconstruction.
6. Implants are long lasting however weight loss, gain, ageing, pregnancy and gravity can change your results and outcomes.
7. The incision pattern for your breast reconstruction surgery will be discussed with you during your consultation at our Grand Rapids office. Scars are a normal outcome of surgery. The location and pattern of your incisions and the resulting scars will be discussed during your consultation.
8. Afterward, you will return to your home or, for our out-of-town guests, to one of the designated hotels conveniently located a short distance from our office.
Breasts surgically removed or disfigured after surgery to treat disease, or as the result of genetic anomalies, may be restored to a more natural appearance. Women of various ages and from many circumstances choose secondary breast reconstruction surgery.
At our Grand Rapids practice, our patients often choose this procedure to restore their breasts to a more natural appearance. The following factors generally define good candidates for breast reconstruction procedures:
Dr. Brad Bengtson is recognized as one of the leading clinical investigators in the United States with the Natrelle 410 Silicone “Gummy Bear” gel breast implants prior to approval and thus has one of the largest experiences in North America.
To learn if you are a good candidate for the 410 Silicone “Gummy Bear” implant, call our office. In general you need to meet these criteria:
1. Be a female 22 years of age or older
2. Have a condition appropriate for breast augmentation, reconstruction, breast revision, or secondary breast reconstruction
3. Have adequate tissue available to cover the implant(s)
4. Be willing to sign the Informed Consent document, which gives you information about your breast implants and confirms your commitment to follow study requirements and acceptance of the potential risks involved
2155 E Paris Ave SE
Suite 100, Grand Rapids, Michigan 49546
Plastic Surgeons Dr. Bengtson and Dr. Alfonso, along with the team at the Bengtson Center for Aesthetics & Plastic Surgery, provide advanced surgical and cosmetic treatments for patients from Grand Rapids, Birmingham, Detroit, and Kalamazoo, Michigan.Fees & Financing