Flatten Your Belly With an Abdominoplasty. Does it seem like no matter how much you exercise or how well you eat, you can't achieve a flat, tight abdomen? Board-certified plastic surgeon Dr. Brad Bengtson can help you improve the appearance of your belly with an abdominoplasty, also known as a "tummy tuck," in Grand Rapids at his Bengtson Center for Aesthetics and Plastic Surgery.
Varying combinations of extra skin, extra fat, and weakened fascia (the thin, strong tissue that encloses your muscles) may combine to create an unsightly, bulging, unflattering stomach. Pregnancy, weight fluctuations, and other factors beyond your control can contribute to a tummy that protrudes or hangs over your waistline.
Sometimes even the healthiest diet and exercise program cannot reduce certain fatty deposits in your abdomen or hip region. This is because stretched-out skin doesn’t respond to these efforts, some fat is considered stubborn and difficult to remove, and lax fascia need help returning to a tighter, more supportive position. If you are unhappy with the overall way your abdomen looks, know that Dr. Bengtson customizes his tummy tuck techniques to help his patients safely achieve a flat, toned tummy with a defined waistline.*
What is a Tummy Tuck?
As noted above, the technical name for tummy tuck surgery is abdominoplasty, which literally means to reshape the abdomen.
The surgery typically involves Dr. Bengtson removing excess abdominal skin and fat, while tightening loose fascia and tissue that has stretched with weight fluctuation, pregnancy, or weight loss. Tummy tuck surgery gives patients from Grand Rapids and beyond a flatter, more toned abdomen.* A tummy tuck in Michigan may include:
To get a better idea of what a tummy tuck can do, check out before and after photos of patients who chose the surgery. While no one person’s results can be duplicated, the visuals can reveal the possibilities to anyone considering an abdominoplasty.
1. A tummy tuck is not a single surgical procedure, but a combination of methods that can be customized to the patient.
2. Common elements of a tummy tuck include removing excess and sagging skin, eliminating unwanted fat cells, and tightening lax abdominal tissues.
3. Incisions can be made in or below the bikini line, hiding signs of the surgery where they won't be seen— even if you decide to dress for the beach!
4. The tummy tuck surgery may involve only tissues below the navel, or it could include a larger portion of the abdomen. Dr. Bengtson always works to ensure the belly button looks natural and is in its proper place.
5. Tummy tuck is a common choice for patients who have lost a significant amount of weight or had a baby and found that their skin did not tighten itself to sit firmly against the new, slimmer body contours.
6. Dr. Bengtson works to stay current on the latest medical advances and techniques. His decades of experience have made him a trusted name for plastic surgery, including abdominoplasty, throughout Grand Rapids and beyond. He is routinely voted "Best Plastic Surgeon" by readers of Grand Rapids Magazine and annually finds himself on lists of top doctors in the country, thanks to votes from his patients and peers.
Patients can get more details about tummy tuck surgery during their private consultation with Dr. Bengtson, who will assess their body, ask questions to establish the desired ultimate end results, and plan the procedure accordingly.
Still, there are more details to consider, so you come into a surgery armed with the knowledge necessary for making the best decision for you.
Flattening the tummy area may inspire you to make cosmetic changes elsewhere on the body! The Bengtson Center understands that every patient has unique goals—and that overall body balance and proportion is important for maintaining a natural, slim, and healthy look.
That’s why some abdominoplasty patients also seek additional procedures and treatments. Women who have lost weight sometimes find that a breast lift is necessary to give their chest a perkier, fuller look, as opposed to a sagging one. Men in a similar position may opt for surgery to remove loose skin, liposuction to get rid of excess fat on the chest, or even male breast reduction surgery to address gynecomastia.
An element of many tummy tuck procedures, liposuction can also be performed as a standalone procedure on the abdomen, as well as on many other parts of the body where fat accumulates. Patients who want to reduce their fat while avoiding surgery can choose CoolSculpting®, which cools targeted fat cells to disrupt them. The Bengtson Center offers this nonsurgical technique handled by experienced aesthetic specialists trained to maximize results.
Weight loss and exercise alone can’t always reshape curves or reduce unwanted fat and skin. If you have tried these strategies and still have a bulging stomach, a tummy tuck may help you reshape and tone this prominent area. Tummy tuck surgery in Michigan can be ideal for our Grand Rapids, Detroit, and Birmingham patients who have done the workouts and lost the weight, but still cannot achieve or restore the body contours they desire.
Every day, women and men of various ages and from a variety of circumstances choose to undergo abdominoplasty in Michigan.
Many of them have been working hard to transform their bodies, but just aren't seeing the results they want. Some are moms who enjoy their adorable babies, but not the way their abdominal muscles haven’t retracted since giving birth. Some are committed fitness enthusiasts who have literally worked their butts off, but still deal with a stubborn gut. It can be frustrating to feel like one particular part of your body won't be tamed! Beyond this, a range of factors generally defines good candidates for this procedure.
2155 East Paris Suite 100, Grand Rapids, Michigan 49546
To learn more about tummy tuck surgery in Grand Rapids, MI, contact Dr. Brad Bengtson or Dr. David Alfonso today. Request your consultation online or call our office at 616.588.8880.Fees & Financing