Breast revision surgery helps our Grand Rapids, Birmingham, and Detroit patients achieve the natural, proportionate look and feel they desire, whether they have experienced changes to their breast appearance over time or following prior breast surgery.
If you are unhappy with the appearance of your current breast implants, or if you simply are dissatisfied with your prior breast augmentation surgical outcome, plastic surgeon Dr. Brad Bengtson can help you achieve your goals. Revisional breast surgery is highly individualized, requiring very specialized planning, techniques, implants, and materials. That’s why you want to choose an experienced plastic surgeon who specializes in a wide range of surgical procedures of the breast, including breast revision.
Grand Rapids Plastic Surgeon Dr. Bengtson is an educator, researcher, and trainer of plastic surgeons, and he travels all over the world to teach breast-revision techniques to other board-certified plastic surgeons. Breast revision comprises approximate 25% of Dr. B’s breast surgeries coming from outside his practice, and they often lead to recommendations for future augmentation procedures. In fact, new patients often comment, "If you can fix difficult breast revision patients, you’re the surgeon I want to do my augmentation the first time."
Dr. B is also a global leader in breast aesthetics and the use of Acellular Dermal Matrix such as AlloDerm® and Strattice™ in breast revision surgery. He may specifically recommend these materials and tissues for breast revision patients from Grand Rapids, Birmingham, and Detroit to improve the likelihood of success and longevity of their results. You can trust our expertise to restore a naturally beautiful appearance. View Dr. Bengtson’s before and after photos for breast revision patients.
What is revisional breast surgery?
Breast revision surgery is performed to address the desire or recommendation to correct a previous breast surgery from any prior procedure including breast augmentation, breast reconstruction, mastopexy, breast reduction, or even a prior breast revision procedure.
Below are some common reasons our Grand Rapids, Birmingham, and Detroit patients choose this procedure:
Revisional breast surgery may help you achieve the natural, proportionate look and feel you desire and were looking for following your original operation.
See the results on your own body in lifelike 3D.
Over time, your appearance changes. Heredity, hormonal changes, weight gain or loss, and aging can result in changes to the size, shape, and overall look of your breasts. In addition, implants are not lifetime devices; your doctor may recommend replacing them, or you may have a test such as an MRI or mammogram that raises questions about implant complications.
Women who are not happy with the current appearance, function, or feel of their breasts following prior breast surgery often choose revisional breast surgery.
The following factors generally define good candidates for breast revision in our Grand Rapids office:
1. Revisional breast surgery is generally performed on an outpatient basis.
2. Implants are long lasting however weight loss, gain, ageing, pregnancy and gravity can change your results and outcomes.
3. Revisional breast surgery may be performed under local anesthesia with sedation, or more commonly under general anesthesia.
4. Recovery ranges from 5 days to 2 weeks, depending on the extent of your procedure. You will be up and about the day after surgery; however, it may be several days before you return to a your active daily schedule.
5. You will discuss the incision pattern for your breast revision during your consultation at our Grand Rapids office. Scars are a normal outcome of surgery and are generally concealed in the breast crease or around the areola (the dark skin surrounding the nipple).
6. The location and pattern of your incisions and the resulting scars will be discussed during your consultation. Your prior incisions are usually removed or revised.
7. You will need a capable adult with you for 24 hours after your release from the surgery center.
8. Afterward, you will return to your home or, for our out-of-town guests, to one of the designated hotels conveniently located a short distance from our office.
9. All surgeries carry the potential for risks, which will be fully discussed with you during your consultation.
1. Dr. Bengtson has performed many studies regarding the VECTRA 3-D Imaging and Simulation, which allows patients to see breast augmentation and breast lift results prior to surgery - in the privacy of his Grand Rapids office.
2. Dr. Bengtson has nationally supported research regarding High-Resolution Ultrasound Imaging and gel breast implants, following patients and identifying ruptured breast implant shells requiring replacement.
3. Dr. Bengtson is one of the global leaders of Acellular Dermal Matrix such as AlloDerm® and Strattice™ for breast augmentation secondary revision surgery, particularly in the treatment of capsular contracture, and he has one of the largest patient series in the world utilizing these tissues to correct this difficult, recurrent problem. These tissues may be recommended specifically to improve the likelihood of success and longevity of your breast revision.
4. Dr. Brad Bengtson is recognized as one of the leading clinical investigators in the United States with the Natrelle 410 Silicone "Gummy Bear" gel breast implants prior to approval and thus has one of the largest experiences in North America. To learn if you are a good candidate for the 410 Silicone “Gummy Bear” implant, call our office.
2155 East Paris Suite 100, Grand Rapids, Michigan 49546
Contact Dr. Brad Bengtson or Dr. David Alfonso at the Bengtson Center to arrange a consultation for breast revision in Grand Rapids. Request your appointment online or call us at 616.588.8880.Fees & Financing