Dermal Fillers to Replace Lost Collagen
For Grand Rapids and Birmingham Patients Seeking Valuable Volume
Why would you use dermal fillers? Grand Rapids and Birmingham area men and women wondering about dermal fillers—how they work, how long they last, when you should use them instead of (or with) BOTOX®—can get the skinny on all of that and more from the Bengtson Center team.
The signs of aging that appear on your face may be inevitable, but surgery to reduce those lines and wrinkles doesn’t have to be. Injectable dermal fillers give Birmingham and Grand Rapids men and women a quick, safe, time-tested, and effective temporary option for replacing lost collagen to smooth wrinkles, restore youthful contours, plump lips, and combat visible signs of aging.
Dermal Fillers Basics
- Dermal fillers are quickly and easily injected where they're needed most—no incisions, sutures, or recuperation necessary!
- There are a variety of fillers available from different manufacturers, so there's something for everybody at the Bengtson Center, including Juvederm® products, Belotero Balance®, Restylane®, and Radiesse®.
- Fillers can be combined with each other and related treatments so the entire face can get an overall refreshed appearance.
- Depending on the filler, results can last anywhere from several months up to two years.*
- Our Master Injectors are specially trained, and even work to train other professionals in advanced techniques to maximize results. We are home to not one, but two national trainers for JUVEDERM® fillers!
What Can Dermal Fillers Fix?
After age 20, we produce 1 percent less collagen in our skin each year! This drop in collagen can result in:
- Losing volume in the face
- Hollowing of cheeks
- Deep creases or lines and wrinkles, such as nasolabial folds or laughter lines
- Hollowing under the eye area
Dermal fillers can be used to fix a variety of concerns related to facial aging, including:
- Adding volume and smoothing out the deep creases that run from the nose to the mouth (called nasolabial folds or laugh lines).
- Plumping thin lips and smoothing out vertical lines around the edges of the lips.
- Augmenting cheeks to enhance their shape, often restoring youthful fullness.
- Filling out depressions (hollows) under the eye area.
- Making indented scars from acne or chicken pox more even with surrounding skin.
- Increasing volume to fill out gauntness in the lower cheek or temple area, which most often occurs due to fat pads shifting beneath the surface of skin.
How Dermal Fillers Work (and How They're Different From BOTOX®)
Dermal fillers are a naturally derived or synthetic material injected directly into skin with the purpose of plumping that area to the point where the wrinkle, depression, or fold is gone. Depending on the type of filler, the effects can last anywhere from six months to two years; for "semi-permanent" and other fillers, the effects can last up to five years; and there are reports of even longer-lasting results*.
Don't confuse dermal fillers with BOTOX®. Although both procedures involve injections, BOTOX® is most often injected in the forehead and to the sides of the eyes to stop muscle movement that results in wrinkles, lines, and crow's feet. It has nothing to do with the plumping, smoothing effect dermal fillers have. Because they work in different manners, many people elect to get both BOTOX® and dermal fillers. The combination can produce a remarkably younger-looking face*!
Ultimate Guide to Dermal Fillers
This dermal filler is considered to be among Allergan's "next generation," as it boasts the highest concentrations of hyaluronic acid in the line, is made with the Vycross® technology that cross-links molecules, and contains a small amount of lidocaine (indicated by the "XC" in the name) to help ease the injection process. Learn more about Juvederm® XC.
- Nasolabial Folds: creases that resemble parenthesis on either side of the mouth
- Smile Lines: lines that run vertically from the bottom of your nose to the corners of your mouth
- Marionette Lines: vertical facial wrinkles and folds that form below the corners of the mouth
- Vertical Lines: facial wrinkles above and around the lips
Also from Allergan, this soft-tissue filler focuses on returning volume to a cheek area that has hollowed or flattened over time. The Vycross® formulation creates a stable gel, with contour-changing results that can last up to two years.
Unlike the hyaluronic acid-based fillers available at the Bengtson Center, this filler uses calcium microspheres to pack a one-two volumizing punch. First, the formula adds volume when injected. Then, the microspheres encourage collagen development, with results that continue after the filler is absorbed
- Nasolabial area (mouth and nose)
Why Choose the Bengtson Center?
The Bengtson Center is rated as one of the Top Three practices for BOTOX® and Juvederm® in Michigan and has been awarded the Black Diamond Award—given to top-tier providers of Allergan products—five years in a row. Choosing to have your BOTOX® injections at the Grand Rapids Bengtson Center for Aesthetics and Plastic Surgery means you will work with our innovators and educators in the field of cosmetic injections, using only FDA-approved injectables, such as JUVEDERM® XC, JUVÉDERM® ULTRA, the new VOLUMA®, RADIESSE®, Restylane®, and BELOTERO BALANCE®. We are also one of the few national training centers in the United States.
Brad Bengtson MD, FACS
"Best Plastic Surgeon - Grand Rapids" Grand Rapids Magazine for the past 10 consecutive years.
Elected by his peers for inclusion in Best Doctors in America® consecutively since 1996.
Sought-after Global Speaker and Educator on all
aspects of Plastic Surgery.