Fat Transfer Augmentation for Breasts
Move Fat Cells to Where You Want Them at the Grand Rapids Bengtson Center
Fat can be so uncooperative. It seems to appear where it wants, then either shifts to new (sometimes surprising!) areas as we age or holds on stubbornly in the face of strict dieting and rigorous exercise. And the places that could benefit from a little more volume? They may stay smaller than desired as other areas continue to grow.
If you've ever wished you could take charge of your fat by shifting it from your "trouble" spots where there's more than enough (your abdomen, flanks, or thighs) to an area that could stand a bit more "oomph" (your breasts, perhaps?), the dream is now a reality. Board-certified plastic surgeons Dr. Bradley Bengtson and Dr. David Alfonso perform safe, natural-looking augmentation procedures for the breasts, using fat transfer for Grand Rapids and Birmingham area patients who want to modestly increase their cup size without using breast implants.
Fat transfer offers other possibilities, too. Thin patients who get traditional augmentation can use fat transfer to thicken the coverage over their implants. Autologous fat grafting (the technical name for this procedure) is also effective for women who have undergone a mastectomy, as fat transfer may be used for secondary breast reconstruction to fill in defects, smooth contour irregularities, or thicken tissues over breast implants. Imagine: Your own fat doing something good for you, for a change!
KNOW THE BASICS
- During a fat transfer procedure, fat cells are removed from other parts of a patient's body via a special type of liposuction, then are processed and safely injected into the breast area.
- In addition to creating natural-looking results, a fat transfer breast augmentation can allow you to reduce unwanted, exercise-resistant fat on other body areas.
- A fat transfer does not involve major surgery, is less invasive than traditional implants, and requires only small incisions. Scars are minimal.
- Fat transfer may be combined with a breast lift or traditional breast augmentation, and is ideal for filling out the upper slope of the breasts.
- Fat transfers are suitable for women who are hoping for a mild to moderate increase in breast size (no more than half to a full cup).
- Dr. Brad Bengtson is a renowned expert in breast surgeries. He is highly experienced in the field, having performed more than 4,000 breast implant procedures.
How Does Fat Transfer Work?
Since a fat transfer makes use of the body's own tissues, the first step of the fat transfer procedure is manual extraction of fat cells with a thin cannula. Patients are given local or general anaesthesia to reduce sensation in the donor area, as well as the breasts themselves.
After the fat is removed, the tissue is processed to separate the living cells from other material. Once purified, the viable cells are carefully injected into the breasts, with Dr. Bengtson and Dr. Alfonso taking care to position them precisely for a natural, balanced, proportional, and symmetrical look.
Patients can expect some tenderness, swelling, and bruising in any areas where fat cells were removed, as well as where they were inserted. These effects will fade in a short while, revealing the new, beautifully shaped breasts.
Benefits of Fat Transfer
This type of natural augmentation provides unique benefits:
- Up to one cup increase in breast volume
- Customized shaping of breast contours
- Accurate visualization of results before surgery
- Precise placement of fat and filling
- Small incisions with minimal scarring
- No risk of capsular contracture
- Improved appearance of the entire body
- Quick recovery time
*Result may vary from person to person.
The Bengtson Center Difference for Fat Transfer
Dr. Bengtson and Dr. Alfonso are among a select group of plastic surgeons in Michigan and the United States who routinely perform fat transfer augmentation for the breasts. At their Grand Rapids practice, the Bengtson Center for Aesthetics and Plastic Surgery, they are committed to customizing your entire experience to meet your personal goals.
As a board-certified plastic surgeon performing augmentation—fat transfer and otherwise—Dr. Bengtson is nationally renowned for his work with women, traveling the world to speak and working with implant manufacturer Allergan to continually improve augmentation surgical techniques and technology.
His decades of research and practice, coupled with his partnerships and participation in scholarly study and practical investigation, give him particular insight into the female form and the most innovative surgical and implant options available for augmenting breasts.
Dr. Alfonso is also board certified and highly respected for his body contouring work, with numerous publications and years of practical experience underscoring each augmentation procedure he performs.
The Bengtson Center is also the first and only practice in West Michigan with Vectra® 3-D imaging and simulation, which allows patients to visualize how their breasts will look following a breast lift with or without fat grafting or breast implants.
Looking to Lose More Fat?
The amount of tissue taken from a donor area for fat transfer is significant enough to make a difference to breast size, but patients whose primary goal is to slim down a particularly stubborn pocket should talk to Dr. Bengtson or Dr. Alfonso about dedicated liposuction. This surgery is intended to physically remove fat cells from a specific region and can be performed as a standalone procedure or, of course, as part of fat transfer for augmenting the breasts.