Breast Implants in Grand Rapids and Detroit
Curious about breast implants? Grand Rapids Plastic Surgeon Dr. Bradley Bengtson can introduce you to the wide range of products available and help you select the one that’s perfect for your needs. At the Bengtson Center, Dr. B uses a variety of breast implant types, styles, shapes, and sizes to help his patients achieve beautiful, natural-looking results.
Breast implants are medical devices designed to safely:
- Increase your breast and cup size
- Enhance the shape and firmness of your breast
- Restore breast volume that decreased over time
Used in breast augmentation procedures, breast implants can help Grand Rapids and Detroit area patients achieve a natural, proportional shape and volume to enhance their breast and body. Dr. Bengtson offers a complete range of breast implants at his Grand Rapids, Michigan, practice, including silicone gel, saline-filled, and "gummy bear" implants. Dr. Bengtson uses only rigorously tested and FDA-approved breast implants; standard gel implants were re-approved by the FDA in November 2006, and the “gummy bear” implant was approved in February 2013.
Why Choose Dr. B for Your Breast Implants in Grand Rapids and Detroit?
Dr. Brad Bengtson was one of the select few plastic surgeons to offer the gummy bear breast implants in the United States. Beginning with the FD A trial in March 2001 and as a lead investigator in the FDA-approved study. Dr. Bengtson had the privilege of having the largest single-surgeon augmentation patient study.
Since then, he has been integrally involved in developing the surgeon educational curriculum to assist Allergan in launching the device.
Dr. Bengtson is a national leader in some of the most innovative and interesting research, new technology, and hot topics in plastic surgery today, and he has lectured nationally and internationally on the successful use of Gummy Bear breast implants, educating other plastic surgeons on the nuances of the device.
Although breast implants are one of the key ingredients in the breast augmentation process, Grand Rapids Plastic Surgeon Dr. Brad Bengtson also follows patients with High-Resolution Ultrasound versus expensive MRIs, which many patients end up paying for, and he has published and presented all over the world on this technology. It is vital that implant manufacturers, plastic surgeons, and patients have an accurate, safe, widely available, and inexpensive way to follow their breast implants over time. That solution is unquestionably ultrasound!
In addition, Dr. Bengtson uses a Fast-Trak Recovery Program for his growing 4,000+ breast augmentation practice. He also has one of the largest practices in the world that utilizes various scaffolds such as the new Seri Surgical Scaffold and Acellular Dermal Matrices such as Strattice and Alloderm in both first-time and revisional breast procedures.
What kinds of breast implants are available in Grand Rapids?
Dr. Bengtson offers three general types of breast implants for his Grand Rapids, Detroit, and Birmingham patients:
During your initial consultation with Dr. Bengtson, he will discuss advantages and disadvantages to each of these breast implants in his Grand Rapids practice. Each implant is briefly described below.
*Result may vary from person to person.
NATRELLE® RESPONSIVE SILICONE GEL BREAST IMPLANTS
What are Natrelle® gel breast implants?
Natrelle® gel breast implants are filled with soft, stable, and elastic gel that feels and moves like natural breast tissue. For many women, these responsive-gel or standard-gel implants are a great option because they resemble natural breast tissue. Silicone breast implants come in multiple sizes, shapes, and projections, and are available to women 22 and older who wish to enhance their natural breast size and shape. They are also a good option for breast reconstruction.
Why might Natrelle® gel breast implants be recommended for me?
Breast implants increase the size of your breasts and bring your body into better proportions. These implants give a very natural, stable appearance to the breast. The result for many women includes enhanced self-confidence and a more positive body image.
Who is a candidate for Natrelle® gel breast implants?
Although the mean age is about 35, women of various ages from 18 to 65 elect to have breast implants at the Grand Rapids Bengtson Center for many different reasons. These vary from congenital breast asymmetry, lack of proportional development, loss of volume after pregnancy and breastfeeding, saggy breasts from gravity and weight loss, or revision of your prior breast surgery. The following factors generally define good candidates for breast augmentation procedures:
- You can clearly define why you would like breast augmentation surgery.
- You understand what breast enlargement surgery can and cannot accomplish.
- You accept the risks of breast enhancement surgery and your responsibilities as a patient.
- You are physically healthy, emotionally secure, and stable.
- You accept that you will need to make healthy lifestyle choices to maintain your results.
- You accept that breast implants are not for life, that you will require follow-up, and that you will eventually need to have your breast implants exchanged.
- You are looking for proportional, natural, and restored breast results.
What should I know about Natrelle® style silicone breast implants?
- Breast augmentation is performed on an outpatient basis with surgical time averaging 30 to 40 minutes in patients not requiring a breast lift.
- The placement of your breast implants may be beneath your breast tissue, partially beneath the pectoral or chest muscle, or a combination of the two. Dr. Bengtson rarely places implants above the muscle, but may in selected patients.
- The incision pattern for your surgery will be discussed with you during your consultation for breast implants at our Grand Rapids practice. Scars are a normal outcome of surgery and are generally concealed in the breast crease or around the nipple/areola.
- With Dr. Bengtson’s Fast Trak Recovery Program, return to normal activities of daily living is usually between 24 to 48 hours, with minimal restrictions. Full sports activity-running, jogging, high-impact aerobics-usually 4 to 6 weeks.
- Implants are long lasting however weight loss, gain, ageing, pregnancy and gravity can change your results and outcomes.
- You will need a capable adult with you for 24 hours after your release from the hospital or recovery center.
- All surgeries carry the potential for risks, which will be fully discussed with you during your consultation and informed consent process.
SALINE-FILLED BREAST IMPLANTS
What are saline-filled breast implants?
Saline-filled breast implants are filled with sterile salt water at the time of surgery for minor modifications in implant size. Saline breast implants are selected by our Grand Rapids patients to enhance the natural breast or to expand tissue following mastectomy or lumpectomy. Doing so creates a space prior to the final implant placement with a temporary silicone implant.
Why might saline-filled breast implants be recommended for me?
Breast implants provide a long lasting size increase to the size of your breast and bring your body into better proportions. The result for many women includes enhanced self-confidence and a more positive body image.
Who is a candidate for saline-filled breast implants?
Although the mean age is about 35, women from 18 to 60 elect to have saline breast implants for various reasons. Our Grand Rapids, Detroit, and Birmingham patients commonly list the following reasons for their breast augmentation surgery: breast asymmetry from birth, lack of proportional development, loss of volume after childbirth and breastfeeding, and sagginess that may develop from gravity.
The following factors generally define good candidates for breast augmentation procedures:
- You desire an augmentation, but are less than 22 years old, which is the age required for silicone gel breast implants.
- You can clearly define what you hope surgery will achieve for you.
- You understand what breast implant surgery can and cannot accomplish.
- You accept the potential risks of breast surgery and your responsibilities as a patient.
- You are healthy, emotionally secure, and stable.
- You accept that you will need to make healthy lifestyle choices to maintain the results achieved by breast surgery.
- You have realistic expectations and are willing to accept minor asymmetries.
What should I know about saline-filled breast implants?
- Breast augmentation is performed on an outpatient basis.
- The placement of your breast implants may be beneath your breast tissue, partially beneath the pectoral or chest muscle, or combination of the two.
- The incision pattern for your surgery will be discussed with you during your consultation. Scars are a normal outcome of surgery and are generally concealed in the breast crease, around the nipple/areola or in the underarm area.
- You will return to normal activities of daily living between 24 to 48 hours with minimal restrictions. Full sports activity-running, jogging, high-impact aerobics-is usually 4 weeks.
- Implants are long lasting however weight loss, gain, ageing, pregnancy and gravity.
- You will need a capable adult with you for 24 hours after your release from the hospital or recovery center.
- All surgeries carry the potential for risks, which will be fully discussed with you during your consultation for saline breast implants at our Grand Rapids practice.
Brad Bengtson MD, FACS
"Best Plastic Surgeon - Grand Rapids" Grand Rapids Magazine for the past 10 consecutive years.
Elected by his peers for inclusion in Best Doctors in America® consecutively since 1996.
Sought-after Global Speaker and Educator on all
aspects of Plastic Surgery.
Research and Innovation
- Dr. Brad Bengtson is recognized as one of the leading clinical investigators in the United States with the "Gummy Bear" gel breast implants prior to approval and thus has one of the largest experiences in North America. To learn if you are a good candidate for the "Gummy Bear" implant, call our office.
- Dr. Bengtson has nationally supported research regarding High-Resolution Ultrasound Imaging and gel breast implants, following patients and identifying ruptured breast implant shells requiring replacement.
- Dr. Bengtson has performed many studies regarding the Vectra 3-D Imaging and Simulation, which allows patients to see results prior to surgery.
- Dr. Bengtson is one of the global leaders of Acellular Dermal Matrix such as AlloDerm® and Strattice™ for breast augmentation revisional surgery that may or may not be recommended to increase the longevity of your result.
- Dr Bengtson is also one of the global leaders in using SERI™ Surgical Scaffold in breast revision surgery or in patients having surgery for the first time that are undergoing a breast reduction surgery or combined augmentation and lifting that require additional support. Contact the Bengtson Center for Aesthetics and Plastic Surgery to see if you would qualify to be a part of this new clinical study of this FDA- approved product.